Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Safe Moisturizers While Breastfeeding?

Question Safe Moisturizers While Breastfeeding?

Since my pregnancy, when my breasts starting enlarging, my chest has stretched out and the skin looks shiny yet a bit dry and stretched and I am in need of a good moisturizer, I am scared to use regular lotion because my LO might get some in his mouth when he feeds even if I don't apply it anywhere near my nipples . Any suggestions on safe moisturizers?

Default Re: Safe Moisturizers While Breastfeeding?

I use baby lotion. It keeps my skin soft and I don't worry about it getting on the LO. I rub it in around the nipples to avoid getting much/any on them.
    Mum to Alexander, born 2nd April 2010

Still at a year and when apart
    Part time cloth and

Midna is our cat - it made sense at two in the morning whilst hunting for help!

Personally, I probably wouldn't worry too much about my baby ingesting lotion, unless I was using hydrocortisone cream or something. Most baby lotions are really no different than adult lotions. But I'm partial to this stuff, which is basically so simple and natural, it's safe to eat! And it smells and feels good. http://www.mountainocean.com/product/broch.htm

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I use mustella baby lotion on my body and LOVE it. It smells good, and when i'm at work I smell my baby . It's really super moisturizing and nice, too.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Thank You all for your answers!

A really safe moisturizer to use is almond oil or vitamin E oil. Vitamin E oil is very healing for the skin. You can just buy the capsules and prick them with a pin and spread it directly on your skin. Be careful just because it is a baby lotion does not automatically mean it is a safe product. The US has pretty weak laws when it comes to substances in personal care products. Check out this website for some useful information and to check where your products lie: http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/