Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Still to much!

Default Re: Still to much!

Quote Originally Posted by Mummy View Post
    Please don't jump on everything I say, I was trying to help
    Your input is appreciated Mummy...I think the point is only that Over supply is a supply issue and can be just as frustrating...which if you have not experienced, than you may not have known Just like right now I wish I had a low supply, so maybe at least DS would latch on...I am so frustrated right now...and tired...of trying to get him to nurse!! I am almost in tears...I can't even do the block feeding because he is refusing both sides today!!! Sorry to hijack, but if he seems happy to not eat, should I just wait until he starts crying?? He cries when I try to feed him today I thought things were better but they are not...I am sad.

I am at my wits end... Its 4:40pm...he has eaten maybe 10 sips all day!! He is frutrated, I am frustrated. We tried uphill nursing, football hold leaning way back on the couch, side lying, i squirted a bunch out...I have been trying to block feed...but now 4 hours have gone by for him to eat on the left and he didn't...do I switch to the right now?? SHould I just pump and give him a bottle?? waaaahhh...thats me crying and wyatt crying. I had to put him in the swing he doesn't want me to hold him He seems just resigned to not eating...and not cuddling. I tried in the rocker, my bed, the spare bed, the couch, standing...
    Last edited by wyattsmama; October 21st, 2006 at 03:46 PM. Reason: spelling

It sounds like you have tried everything!! I really dont think I have anything to offer??? Maybe just some support and to say take a breath...I know how frustrating this can be. Hang in there!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wyattsmama View Post
    I am at my wits end... Its 4:40pm...he has eaten maybe 10 sips all day!! He is frutrated, I am frustrated. We tried uphill nursing, football hold leaning way back on the couch, side lying, i squirted a bunch out...I have been trying to block feed...but now 4 hours have gone by for him to eat on the left and he didn't...do I switch to the right now?? SHould I just pump and give him a bottle?? waaaahhh...thats me crying and wyatt crying. I had to put him in the swing he doesn't want me to hold him He seems just resigned to not eating...and not cuddling. I tried in the rocker, my bed, the spare bed, the couch, standing...
    NAK - lying down, one handed, excuse typos and short post!

Have you tried getting him very sleepy or asleep and trying again? That is the number one method that worked for us and still does. Or try taking a warm bath with him and offer ... lots of skin to skin contact if he'll allow it. I'm so sorry! Please PM if you need to talk. I'll be back later when I can type freely!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

NAKing as well...

Wyatt's mom~ (((HUGS))) to you! I so remember those days with my little boy! I had never even heard of oversupply ("What? I thought I was supposed to worry about not having enough!")

Definitely try what Annie said about nursing when Wyatt is sleepy. This was our routine for several weeks before the block-feeding took effect:

-dance around with Asher in the sling while he "sang" along until he got *really sleepy*,

-go lay down in bed, with the lights off and everything perfectly still and quiet,

-then latch him on and hope for the best...if he pulled off because of the spray, I'd allow myself to leak into a diaper/nursing pad, and repeat "the dance" until he calmed down again

Boy, was it a lot of work for a while there, but it eventually did pay off. His appetite and ability to cope with the OALD increased as my supply decreased.

Well, ds in question is up, so gotta run. HTH.

Tiana

Thanks for all the support ladies!! Wyatt finally ate last night at 8:30pm!! Then he played went to sleep and I fed him in his sleep at 10:30 and YES he eats so well when he is sleeping!! He ate 4 more times through the night...YAH!! I am so relieved he is not starving anymore!

Now this morning he ate at 7:30 then 9:30 then went until 1:30 then just ate again at 2:30 but not that much...my main concern is the 4 hours this morning, but there is just no feeding him when he doesn't want to eat.

My question is, is it possible that he can go longer stretches (ie. 4 hours...not 7or 8 like yesterday) but 4 hours now?? I am used to him eating every 2-3 hours like clockwork.

My second question is, how long should I do the block feeding for if he does go 4 hours in between feeds???? Its not ideal to leave the other side filling up and up for that long...but of course I will if I have to.

Thanks again...yesterday was a REALLY hard day!!

Woo-Hoo! That is such great news! Way to go mama !

It certainly is possible that, given your abundant milk supply, Wyatt would be perfectly content going 4 hours between nursing sessions during the day. My boy preferred to nurse frequently during the night and then not eat so much during the day. Thank God for co-sleeping!

How long are you staying on one side with the block-feeding? Am I understanding you that you are switching after four hours? It is important to keep tabs on how full you are feeling when you are block-feeding in order to prevent plugged ducts and breast infections. If the side you aren't currently using starts to feel full, you might try hand expressing just until you are comfortable. Many mamas lean over the sink or hop in the shower. Or, you could hold a cloth diaper over the opposite breast and gently massage it while Wyatt nurses on the other side.

HTH. Sooo happy that things are better today!

Tiana

It really can be depressing when it feels like breastfeeding is hurting your LO which it can seem that way with OALD. Though I could imagine it would also be depressing if you didn't have enough milk to feed your LO too.

Wyatt'smom - I'm glad your DS is back to eating - that is so sad and frustrating - we have times when my DS won't eat even when he seems hungry, but he'll usually catch back up at the next feeding - I only had one day like the one you described (which was about when I started realizing I had OALD) and it was so heartbreaking - I definitely cried that day along with my baby.

With blockfeeding and positioning things are generally better now. I'm still on 4 hour blocks, and things seem to be going well, so I'm going to stick with it for awhile. My DS generally eats every 2 hr, so that's 2 feeds per block on 1 breast...if he goes longer or shorter, I actually adjust the block time a bit so it is 2 feedings on 1 side before switching. I'm not sure if it's the correct way to do it, but that works for me.
    Jenny
    Mama to Jacob , born 6/11/06
    And his NEW baby brother , born 8/14/08

, , , cloth diapering

Quote Originally Posted by jennyjq8 View Post
    if he goes longer or shorter, I actually adjust the block time a bit so it is 2 feedings on 1 side before switching. I'm not sure if it's the correct way to do it, but that works for me.
    Thats what I have been doing too!! 2 feedings rather than 4 hours specifically!! Good to know someone else is doing that!

I just wanted to add to the mothers w/ young babies w/ OALD....there CAN be light at the end of the tunnel! I'm cow and always have been. When DJ was little he had to "fight the monster" to eat everyday. He choked, he sputtered and sometimes milk would come out of his nose. But you know what? He learned to deal w/ it. If you have an OALD chance are your going to be prone to it while your BFing. It was part of getting our nursing relationship established. He had to figure out how to get the food w/out choking to death or drowning. They are so smart our LO!!! The 1st sign that he was learning to "deal w/ it" was the "pop off". He would suck a few times and then pop off and stare at my breast and then go back and suck a few more time and pop back off. He did this in ANTICIPATION of a very strong let down and didn't want to get caught in a wave. The next thing he did was start to click. He's a clicker He uses his tongue to control the milk flow so that it doesn't overwhelm him. He's 10months old and sometimes he still chokes and sometimes he still pops off only to get it in the eye Because that 's the kind of milk supply I have.
    ANd I have to agree w/ Mummy. No matter what, I'd always rather have too much milk than not enough. I'd cetainly rather be in a position to help someone else's baby than not be able to take care of my own. And to those of you who have been in both positions....weren't you more scared of the prospect of losing your supply? I mean if all else fails w/ OALD you can pump and feed your baby. If you lost your supply.....I shudder to think.
    Anyways my point is for the most part I think you can expect you an dyour baby to work it out. The popping off and the clicking are two signs I know of that you can look for that can mean your baby already has started to! Good luck everyone!
    Last edited by DJ's Mom; October 23rd, 2006 at 03:44 AM.