Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Still to much!

Default Still to much!

Hi there ladies, I hope someone can help...

I have had an issue with overproduction and a strong let down. Despite trying diff nursing positions (where LO lays on top on me to control how much he takes in), I am still overwhelming him. My question I guess is will it ever even out, or will I have to continue with these feeding positions ...they are really awkward in public. Thanks for any feedback.

Default Re: Still to much!

I am dealing with this right now too!! This podcast was recommended to me and really helped me with ideas to get it under control http://www.lalecheleague.org/mp3/LLL...fulLetdown.mp3
    I just listened to it last night and while we are still struggling...I have lots of hope it is going to get better! I am doing block feeding right now (4 hours on each side). For some reason I am scared to use a cold compress because I have this fear it will make all my milk go away...but I think if this block feeding doesn't work I will try that...HTH

Listening to it right now..Thanks

PS paint_the_moon (Annie) should get the credit for this one!!

Quote Originally Posted by wyattsmama View Post
    PS paint_the_moon (Annie) should get the credit for this one!!

You should check out Kristin's thread from yesterday for more info and links! I'm nursing and typing with one hand or I'd just type it all here for you!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Quote Originally Posted by Mummy View Post

Some people would love to have your problem!!! (me included) So if it makes you feel better it's much better to have too much than not enough!!!

Hope you find a "fix" but I'm not being sarcastic here but you are lucky not to have a supply issue, everytime it annoys you remember that

Abby
    I just wanted to mention that over supply can be extremely frustrating especially when your baby refuses to nurse because the milk is coming out so strong and in so much quantity that he is sputtering, choking and gasping!! Screams, back arches and refusals don't make for feeling much better...

Quote Originally Posted by mummy
    Some people would love to have your problem!!! (me included) So if it makes you feel better it's much better to have too much than not enough!!!
    Hope you find a "fix" but I'm not being sarcastic here but you are lucky not to have a supply issue, everytime it annoys you remember that
    Oversupply can have devastating consequences for both mom and baby. It can be heartbreaking ... it was for me. Addie has been through countless nursing strikes and got so terrified to nurse for fear of choking and gagging that she developed a nursing aversion and would scream in fear when I even began to put her into nursing position.

Since I'm typing with one hand here, I'm gonna just post something I wrote in another post about her refusing to nurse that may help others to understand just how difficult an oversupply issue can be:

"I cannot describe how emotionally painful those months of my baby refusing to nurse were. Every day revolved around trying to coax her back to nurse. Every time she refused (and she did so violently), it broke my heart a little more. I felt like I was failing her and like she was personally rejecting me. She would start crying when I just began to lay her down to nurse. And she was starving, clawing at my chest, but the second she saw my breast she'd lose it again. To watch us you would think I was poking her with needles she was so scared. The number one question family asked was, "Did she nurse?" and I found myself in tears right along with my baby every day."

While a low supply can be difficult and heart breaking too, oversupply is no less of a problem. Sorry if I'm coming on strong here, but I don't want others to get the idea that oversupply/OALD isn't really a serious problem with serious consequences.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

(Bare with me I am typing with my left hand and nursing with the right)

I have not tried cabbage. I am considering donating my milk. I need to make sure I have a good supply for my LO since I am going back to work soon.

I know I get funny looks when I’m in public, but I can't just stay home...too much to do. No one has been rude or even commented on my unusual way of nursing thank goodness! Thanks for the info ladies...It’s so great to have this support; I only wish I had found it sooner!

Quote Originally Posted by Mummy View Post
    I did have a friend with a huge over supply problem, Ok, this is an unusal way of thinking, but she pumped, and pumped and pumped and sent it all to a local milk bank, They loved her to bits, she even met some of the premmies she helped (this was in the UK where it's less paperwork)
    I also wanted to mention that any pumping you do will only exasperate the oversupply problem! You don't want to pump unless necessary for work, etc.

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate everyone’s input. I have been on both sides, not producing enough when my LO was born and currently with the issue of oversupply. Both were/are equally as frustrating for me. I am so glad to have somewhere I can go to with my questions/issues, and it's nice to know I'm not the only one struggling.

Thanks again everyone...the pod cast really did shed some new light.