Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breast Pain

Default Breast Pain

Hi everyone I am new to this forum. My daughter is now 6 weeks and I have had problems since the beginning. I have been through two strikes and lot of improper latching. Due to all the past problems I would say she is nursing really well and throughout all of this she has put on weight (10lbs 3oz now!). I also started pumping within the first week so she is used to the bottle. I work now and she gets three feedings a day with the bottle.
    My daughter prefers to nurse on the right side but will nurse from the left with out a problem however I have a lot of breast pain. I want to say it's thrush but on the other hand I don't think so.
    She doesn't always initially latch on correctly, she will slide up and down the nipple several times during a feeding and she will also shake her head from left to right (this only occurs on my left side) still latched on to me. I don't know how to get her stop. Most often I try to prevent how far back she tries to pull out the nipple. It seems as if she is trying to make it protude longer, has this happened to anyone else. My right nipple is a bit larger than the left side but atleast to me it doesn't appear to be that significant but apparently to her it is. I don't know what to do! I did see an old post where someone seemed to have a similar prob. and it resolved itself by week 12- I think?

I go to the ped. in two weeks for her 2mo. check-up, I think the pain is from all of her wriggling but how does the ped. know if the pain is from thrush or not??

Sorry so long

Default Re: Breast Pain

Hello and welcome to the forum! It sounds to me like you may have a little problem with nipple confusion. She may have a shallow latch which can cause breast pain. I would concentrate on getting her to latch properly and stay latched. Here are some resources:

Latching properly

Dealing with Nipple Confusion

Ask Dr. Sears

I hope this helps!

Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

My son also shook his head back and forth for awhile while he was a newborn. I have no idea why, but he did stop doing it when he got a little older. Can you describe the pain your having? Is it only in the nipple, or in the whole breast? Do you have pain in between feedings? Any itching or burning? Are there visible cracks or irritated areas on your nipple or areola? And, am I correct that it is just in the one breast?

I have pain only in the breast. I was having sharp nipple pains but I finally got her to open wider. She occasionally will still clamp down very tightly and will gradually loosen up but the sharp nipple pain is gone. I do occasionally have some burning and some pain in between feedings but not sure how often. I don't always have pain after every feeding. I sometimes think it's combination of thrush and all her wriggling. She sometimes sucks her tongue along with my nipple I don't know if that's a contributor. I would like to say she has nipple confusion but she latches on really well especially on the right side without any problems even if she had a bottle right before; although I think she has picked up bad habits from the bottle like being able to clamp down (there have been times where the nipple on the bottle has been squished flat-we noticed when we take it out of her mouth) she also push milk or air back into the bottle which I think contributes to extra choking on the breast now.
    I have had so many problems they all are starting to run together. Since it's the weekend I am not sure whether I have any pain between pumpings at work or pain at all for that matter I am inclined to say 'no'.
    Other than symptoms is there a test for thrush??
    Does this sound like a combo problem? I really have no idea. This is our first baby hence first time breastfeeding and I don't anyone who has had our problems.

Yes, I believe a culture can be done to determine if there is thrush. Often when there is burning/pain in between feedings that is the cause. However, I think it usually would happen during/after pumping as well. Do you have a local LLL group in your area? I'd recommend contacting a local leader or an IBCLC. Having someone watch the baby nurse in person might be helpful at this point. It is much easier to evaluate proper latch and positioning in person. Is the breast pain always in the same spot on the breast?

I don't have pain inbetween feedings as I realized today, just when she finishes assuming she is moving around a lot there is pain for a few minutes and then it subsides. There is an LLL in this area. Thanks for your help. I just have been confused about how to rule out other problems which I have been leaning towards other problems and not thrush but I will bring it up to her ped when I go in another week.