Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need help, Thrush....in pain

Default Need help, Thrush....in pain

Hi I have a 9 week old son. I have not had many problems with BF since the begining til this week. We were at the pediatrican and he said that we have thrush. He prescribed nystain and to give the baby iml 4 times a day and to put it on my nipples. We have been doing this since thursday. My son's white areas have seemed to cleared up and he is doing better. I still having alot of pain on my one side. It is so sore! My nipple is pink and hurts! What can I do to make it better????????????????

Thanks!

Default Re: Need help, Thrush....in pain

Check out the LLL FAQs for Thrush... you may need your doc to prescribe you an oral medication if the thrush is in your milk ducts. They'll probably prescribe you diflucan.

Hang in there, I had really bad thrush a while back and it was seriously the worst pain of my entire life (of course I didn't experience childbirth, I had a c-sec, lol).

Eat yogurt, change nursing pads frequently, clean nipples with water & vinegar and let them air dry...
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

hi there! welcome to the forum and congratulations on your little one!

sorry to hear that you both had/have thrush...but happy to hear that the thrush is going away for your son. i'd recommend applying the nystatin for a few more days just in case...yeast if very persistent! my dd just started a round of infant diflucan (after 3 unsuccessful rounds of nystatin ). i was also on a round of diflucan and have been pretty much pain free for the past month now.

as for your sore nipple, check this out: Is thrush causing my sore nipples?

it states:
    In addition to the medical treatment, there are other steps you can take.

-Wash all bras, bra pads, nightgowns, etc (anything that comes in contact with your nipples) in HOT water with bleach and dry on hot in the dryer or in the sun.
    -Rinsing your nipples with a vinegar and water solution (1 tablespoon vinegar to 1 cup water) after every feeding is helpful. Use a fresh cotton ball for each application and mix a new solution every day.
    -Some women add acidophilus supplements (40 million units per day) to their diet.
    -Some women find that reducing yeast and sugar in their diet helps.

hope this helps! good luck!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

I am so sorry that you are having to deal with thrush. My ds and I had it for 2 months, so I can sympathize with you. I promise, the pain will go away...this too shall pass!! My pediatrician prescribed nystain for my son and I was prescribed Newman's ointment by my OB, which was the BEST thing that I could have taken at that time. I started taking it on a Monday and the pain was almost completely gone within five days! I strongly recommend that you contact your OB to see if you can get this. If you get this prescription, you have to make sure you go to a pharmacy that is able to make it, as there are only certain ones that are able to do so.

I hope this helps and keep us updated .
    Mommy to three amazing little ones...Noah {4/12/06}, Leah {3/21/08}, and Isaac {6/18/10}. Loving every moment!

Thrush is a monster all in itself. I have been fighting it for 8 weeks and am proud to say that today is the first day that my LO's mouth is completely cleared. It took many things, and be diligent...

Wash all toys in VERY hot water daily (if you boil them you'll have to thrown them away, esp. plastic..lol) vinegar and water rinse...toys that can not be submerged, clean with bleach, vinegar, etc...

Wash laundered items that touch your breast, your LO's mouth, drool, etc. in very hot water

Rinse after nursing with Grapefruit Seed Extract and water mixture (not grape seed) Swap LO's mouth with it as well

Primodopholus for LO's mouth. Mixed with drops of water to make a paste, (my LO loved this)

and I resorted to taking Diflucan myself, I think this was what sealed the deal along with cutting all sugar out of my diet, this includes fruit, wheat, chocolate, etc. (Very hard, but worth it)

Good luck to you!
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet