Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pump during weekend or not?

Default pump during weekend or not?

I am pumping when I am away from LO while at work.
    I am home on the weekends. Is there any reason to pump on the weekends?
    TW
    <Abigail 9/6/10>

Default Re: pump during weekend or not?

No - Unless you're not pumping enough during the week. Some mamas add a pump after their babies go to sleep to add to their stash for the next day, and if you were doing that, it might be good to do it on weekends too, just to bank a little extra. I was always able to pump enough for Joe each day for the next day (give or take a couple of ounces), so I actually left my pump at work on the weekends and never touched it when I was home! But some women (esp if baby is sleeping through the night) have to pump outside of work hours, and there is nothing wrong with that.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Right now I don't have to, because I'm able to keep slightly ahead of the baby's milk needs while we're apart. However if I have a supply drop I'll pump on the weekends to make up for it. You do what you have to do.
    Katie - mom to Lily, 8/5/2010

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    No - Unless you're not pumping enough during the week. Some mamas add a pump after their babies go to sleep to add to their stash for the next day, and if you were doing that, it might be good to do it on weekends too, just to bank a little extra. I was always able to pump enough for Joe each day for the next day (give or take a couple of ounces), so I actually left my pump at work on the weekends and never touched it when I was home! But some women (esp if baby is sleeping through the night) have to pump outside of work hours, and there is nothing wrong with that.
    Yep, this exactly. I pumped at work for my babies (I work FT, M-F), but didn't pump on the weekends unless I needed more milk for the upcoming week. For my DS, I was able to bank a pretty good stash when I was still on maternity leave, so when I came back to work if I came up a little short I just dipped into my stash.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Glad to see this post...I was just wondering the same. I am out of the house for work from 7AM -6 or 6:30PM M-F for work. This includes my hours and commute. We use 5 bottles during that time. I typically only pump 2 5oz. bottles during the day at work (bc I can only pump during the lunch hour). When I get home, I can usually nurse LO and still get 2-4 oz. more before going to bed. That usually gives me 3.5 bottles for the next day, so I'm biting into my stash.

I figure I need to pump at least 7.5 - 8 ounces on the weekend to maintain my inventory so that I don't run out.

Smile Re: pump during weekend or not?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    Totally agree--you may want to build a stash too. But I've found that nursing all weekend really helps me bond with my little guy and I wouldn't want to pump to replace that But that's just me!
    Exclusive , ,Christian mommy!
    Bloggin' Mommy