Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HELP!!!

Default HELP!!!

My daughter was a month old on Monday. I breast fed her for the first 5 days then had to supplement with formula because of a low milk supply. This was devastating to me. After the first 2 days supplementing with formula I was determined to breastfeed exclusively. I discontinued the formula and put her on my breast. I wound up very badly chaped and an infection. I went to the dr. She treated me for a fungal infection. She put me on an antibiotic. I then took my daughter to her drto see if she had thrush, she didn't. I continued to nurse her and the infection cleared up. a week later I went the dr for a check up and she told me it wasn't a fungal but bacterialinfection. She then changed my antibiotic and I had to stop breastfeeding for 8 days because of it. I now am able to breastfeed but my daughter does not like the breast anymore. She didn't have a problem before, she loved the milk but the latch on wasn't good. I am only trying since last night but she is having an extremely hard time taking the breast again. She does latch but cries and squirms at the breast. She sucks in so much air from crying and gives herself a lot of gas. I still have to give her at least 2oz of formula because I hate to see her like this. I don't know what to do to get her to like the breast again. She is not starving but this is the prcess to get her to eat. HELP

Default Re: HELP!!!

Welcome! I'm sorry your first month with your baby has been so hard. But kudos to you for sticking with breastfeeding anyway!!! I know you're in a tough spot but I do think you can get through it.

This link covers nursing strikes and how to end them: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html In particular, I suggest doing as much skin-to-skin contact as possible, and using the "instant reward" techniques to get your baby into the mindset that the breast is a nice place to be.

This link covers how to wean from formula supplements: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html Basically, you want to decrease the amount in those supplemental bottles a little at a time until they're all gone.

Aside from your difficulties with getting your baby to latch and nurse, how are things going? Are you in any pain during or after nursing? And have you been pumping while the baby has been off the breast, and if so, how has that been going?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you for your reply mommal....I did pump and dump when I was on the antibiotics to keep up the supply which went great. I am also taking Motherlove more milk plus which also helped with my supply. As of now I am exclusively breastfeeding since my post, only 2 days ago. She is on Nystatin for her thrush as well. She has another 2 weeks to go on this medicine, a total of 3 weeks. She does have her fussy times latching on but she is getting the hang on it. She does have a lot of wet diapers which keeps me at ease. My other concern is her gas, not sure if its me, even though I watch to not eat gassy foods or her medicine. It seems to come when she has to eat. She has always been a gassy baby so not sure if I am just paranoid. Every time we sit down to feed she screams her head off and trying to latch her...it has become a process that I am determined to get over. Also my breasts do get sore after feeding as well as the nipples but nothing terrible. Is this normal? Let me know what you think. Thank you for all the information you sent me.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*naft1206 View Post
    Every time we sit down to feed she screams her head off and trying to latch her...it has become a process that I am determined to get over.
    Some babies feel more confident latching while lying down. They feel secure on the bed (not in arms that only cover a portion of their body) and can latch on their own terms (no hand on back of head pushing toward the nipple).

Best of luck. Sounds like you're headed in the right direction.