Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help knowing what I will need

Default need help knowing what I will need

I am 25 weeks pregnant today and we are going to register this weekend. I know that I want to breast feed, but my husband also wants to be involved in the feeding by using a bottle with breast milk. First, is it okay to switch from breast to bottle occasionally even in the first few weeks for the baby. Second, do I have to buy the bottles that match the pump I'm getting or can I use any bottle. Third, how many bottles or storage containers do I really need.

Thanks...

Default Re: need help knowing what I will need

First of all -

Congratulations on your new baby! It's great to see women preparing to breastfeed when they're pregnant - it really gives you a leg-up just knowing that this forum exists!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*gettingready View Post
    I know that I want to breast feed, but my husband also wants to be involved in the feeding by using a bottle with breast milk.
    It's wonderful that you have a supportive partner! That is HUGE. But I would (gently, because his heart is clearly in the right place) let your DH know that the LLLadies say the way that he can support you most in the beginning is by supporting your effort to breastfeed. He can do so many things - change the baby, burp the baby, hold the baby, wear the baby, bounce the baby, fill your water glass, feed YOU - that are amazingly helpful, even if, at first, you probably don't want to be switching from breast to bottle.

I never changed a single diaper for the first two weeks of Joe's life. Seriously. And I pretty much never burped him, intentionally, EVER. So okay, that's a little crazy, but both DH and I were home during my leave, and he just did that stuff. It was AWESOME.

First, is it okay to switch from breast to bottle occasionally even in the first few weeks for the baby.
    Basically, we don't recommend it. We usually don't recommend introducing a bottle at all until four weeks. If you have to supplement before that time (and you probably won't - there are specific circumstances where you do, which shouldn't come up, but might) there are other methods that are less likely to cause nipple confusion.

Second, do I have to buy the bottles that match the pump I'm getting or can I use any bottle. Third, how many bottles or storage containers do I really need.
    Well, I know my Medela pump works with any narrow neck (not wide base) bottle, and I assume the others are the same.

How many bottles you need depends on whether you will be a full-time working/pumping mama or at home and just wanting to pump a few bottles here and there. I worked full time, and found it helpful to have 15-20 or so cheap bottles. That seems like a ton, but I always had three or four full ones in the fridge, and took three or four empty clean ones to work every day, and then there would be a few in the freezer ... so those 20 bottles were on constant rotation.

A lot of working moms use bags for freezing instead of bottles. They take up less space in the freezer. I found I preferred just using bottles, because I never worried about having a giant stash, and Joe didn't really like thawed frozen breastmilk as well anyway.

But basically, you don't need to worry about that until later. I would register for a half dozen bottles if you plan to stay home with your baby, and a dozen or more if you plan to go to work ... and maybe some bags to try if you are returning to work too.

ETA: A lot of times you have to go through a little trial and error in the beginning to find a bottle that works for your baby. So keep that in mind. It might be easier just to register for items you're sure you'll be able to use.
    Last edited by @llli*joe.s.mom; January 7th, 2011 at 04:52 PM.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

THANK YOU so much "Joe's Mom" for all of your help and advice. I truly appreciate it!!! This is our first baby and everything seems confusing and overwhelming, but of course VERY exciting as well.

I am 25 weeks pregnant today and we are going to register this weekend. I know that I want to breast feed, but my husband also wants to be involved in the feeding by using a bottle with breast milk. First, is it okay to switch from breast to bottle occasionally even in the first few weeks for the baby. Second, do I have to buy the bottles that match the pump I'm getting or can I use any bottle. Third, how many bottles or storage containers do I really need.

Thanks...
    Are you planning to be a full-time stay at home mom or are you returning to work full-time?

I had to supplement in the beginning, and at first I tried cupfeeding to avoid nipple confusion, but about a week into that, stress and exhaustion finally convinced me to give in and use a bottle. I had no problems, and my lo is going strong as a nurser and still gets the occassional bottle of bmilk. I have found that the only nipple he likes is the big ones (like a human nipple) with the drop-in. Sorry can't think of the name (playtex?) He hates any small or hard nipples. If you do end up getting a bottle, get one that has a wide-base nipple, like the playtex, because they are most like your nipple.
    I would have loved not to have had to supplement in the beginning, but the reality is I DID have to, and having a good bottle meant keeping my sanity imo What I'm trying to say is, it's best if you can avoid a bottle early on, especially the first weeks, but if you end up having to don't feel bad. This just added uneccessary stress to me early on.
    Congrats on your little one! It's a wonderful adventure!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*apie View Post
    What I'm trying to say is, it's best if you can avoid a bottle early on, especially the first weeks, but if you end up having to don't feel bad. This just added uneccessary stress to me early on.
    I actually gave Joe a bottle when he was only two weeks old, and he was totally fine. But we do see mamas on here whose babies have terrible nipple confusion, so it's real. Joe was always great about switching back and forth, from day one, but not all babies are. So I would just say, TRY to avoid giving a bottle too early. Yes, you might have no problem, but if you do have a problem, it's hard to fix, you know? You don't need the stress of trying to feed a baby who has decided he or she prefers a bottle, either, you know?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    I actually gave Joe a bottle when he was only two weeks old, and he was totally fine. But we do see mamas on here whose babies have terrible nipple confusion, so it's real. Joe was always great about switching back and forth, from day one, but not all babies are. So I would just say, TRY to avoid giving a bottle too early. Yes, you might have no problem, but if you do have a problem, it's hard to fix, you know? You don't need the stress of trying to feed a baby who has decided he or she prefers a bottle, either, you know?
    Agreed! I don't think new mommys need ANY added stress. The whole learning experience itself was more than enough for me

One thing I needed for sure and didn't register for was breast pads. I really recommend getting the washable/reusable ones as I went through a tonne in the first 2 months and was going broke buying the disposable ones in the beginning!

I also recommend the playtex drop ins with the slow flow nipples. The fast flow nipples are easier for the baby to get milk from and can lead to them prefering the bottle.

Also I practically had my nursing pillow surgically attached to me in the first few weeks. I had the breastfriend pillow....expensive but totally worth it.

Goodluck and remember we are all here for you when your little one arrives!
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*marilyn612 View Post
    Also I practically had my nursing pillow surgically attached to me in the first few weeks. I had the breastfriend pillow....expensive but totally worth it.
    The Breastfriend pillow is how I learned to type and nurse at the same time! An essential skill, believe me.

You can call me JoMo!

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply...this is all very helpful! I'm not sure yet if I'm going to go back to work, but hopefully we'll be able to figure that out soon since it sounds like that may impact what we'll need in the first couple of months for feeding.