Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it to late ..... ?????

Default Is it to late ..... ?????

Hello.

I need some help encouragement. My son is 3 weeks old. I started right from delivery breast feeding my baby but once we were discharged from the hospital, we followed up with his first appt to the pediatrician only to find out that he had lost 15% of his birth weight so the doctor stated that my milk supply must not be fully in yet so she advised me to supplement nursing w/formula until my milk comes in 100%.

I did try to continue to nurse him but he never seemed satisfied. I then tried to pump but to date I still can only get 2-2.5 ounces when I pump. We met w/a lacation consultant who said his latch and the positioning was perfect so that wasn't an issue and she suggested we purchase and try a herb called Fenugreek to increase milk supply. I've now been on these for the past 4 days and am not seeing much increase.

My question is, is it to late for me to try to increase the supply or is it just not gonna happen. I would love to continue to nurse him but if its not there then its just not there. What should I or can I do?

Default Re: Is it to late ..... ?????

Not too late at all. How are his diapers? When was his first appt, a week old? Were you on iv fluids during labor?

Your pump output is good for 3 weeks old. Can they do a weigh-feed-weigh?

*sorry for repeating.*
    Last edited by @llli*decbaby; January 7th, 2011 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Sorry for repeating
    SAHM to my sweet December baby boy.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*einya77 View Post
    Hello.

I need some help encouragement. My son is 3 weeks old. I started right from delivery breast feeding my baby but once we were discharged from the hospital, we followed up with his first appt to the pediatrician only to find out that he had lost 15% of his birth weight so the doctor stated that my milk supply must not be fully in yet so she advised me to supplement nursing w/formula until my milk comes in 100%.

I did try to continue to nurse him but he never seemed satisfied. I then tried to pump but to date I still can only get 2-2.5 ounces when I pump. We met w/a lacation consultant who said his latch and the positioning was perfect so that wasn't an issue and she suggested we purchase and try a herb called Fenugreek to increase milk supply. I've now been on these for the past 4 days and am not seeing much increase.

My question is, is it to late for me to try to increase the supply or is it just not gonna happen. I would love to continue to nurse him but if its not there then its just not there. What should I or can I do?
    Also try adding steel-cut oatmeal to your diet. For some reason it stimulates milk production. How long does your LO typically nurse in one feeding? Are you nursing long enough to get the hind milk?

Hey you guys ... thanks for replying so quickly to my post. I've been getting discouraged by this and just trying to get some answers ...

So yes in answer to some of your questions, I am getting 2-2.5 oz per session however I'm only pumping about 3 times per days because I didn't know how often I should pump?! When I actually put him to my breast he is feeding for about 15 minutes on each side; I make sure to keep him up there to he is getting the hind milk, IF it is coming out.

I had lots of IV fluids in labor. I went thru 2 FULL bags of Pitocin and several bags of Saline fluid. After delivery I had severe swelling from so much fluid that it took about 5 days to expel.

His diaper outputs are very good. We are going thru about 10-12 diapers per day and over half of those are dirty!

When I follow up nursing w/the bottle, I am stopping that after each ounce so as to burp him and I just found out a couple days ago that it seems like he does favor the bottle because of the nipple. Its easier for him to suck rather than have to work at mine so that made perfect sense.

The doctors office did do a weigh-feed-weigh where they weighed him before and after nursing and there was a difference of an ounce and a half for that stretch which was good considering I had nursed him an hour before.

Is it good for me to be taking the Fenugreek tabs???

Hey you guys ... thanks for replying so quickly to my post. I've been getting discouraged by this and just trying to get some answers ...

So yes in answer to some of your questions, I am getting 2-2.5 oz per session however I'm only pumping about 3 times per days because I didn't know how often I should pump?! When I actually put him to my breast he is feeding for about 15 minutes on each side; I make sure to keep him up there to he is getting the hind milk, IF it is coming out.

I had lots of IV fluids in labor. I went thru 2 FULL bags of Pitocin and several bags of Saline fluid. After delivery I had severe swelling from so much fluid that it took about 5 days to expel.

His diaper outputs are very good. We are going thru about 10-12 diapers per day and over half of those are dirty!

When I follow up nursing w/the bottle, I am stopping that after each ounce so as to burp him and I just found out a couple days ago that it seems like he does favor the bottle because of the nipple. Its easier for him to suck rather than have to work at mine so that made perfect sense.

The doctors office did do a weigh-feed-weigh where they weighed him before and after nursing and there was a difference of an ounce and a half for that stretch which was good considering I had nursed him an hour before.

Are you using a "slow flow" nipple on the bottle? If you don't use a "slow flow" nipple, he will favor the bottle nipple because it comes out faster and is less work for him. You want to use a slow-flow nipple if you must supplement.

It is ok for you to take fenugreek but make sure you are taking enough 2 to 3 pills three times daily. I had good results taking them with blessed thistle. If you are not seeing an increase you are not taking enough or it may not work for you (doesn't for some people) This is only if supply is an issue because if not you could cause oversupply which isn't good either. Like pp said, I would start to cut back on supplements, and watch diaper output, also nurse frequently! That's the best way to insure proper supply

Sounds like he's doing well. Did the pediatrician know about all the fluid you had? I would try scaling back on supplements and bottles. How much formula are you giving?

I bet his next weigh in will be just fine. I dont think you need the fenugreek at all (from what it sounds) I really think the fluids you had pumped up his birth weight.
    SAHM to my sweet December baby boy.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    Honestly, it sounds to me like he had excess fluid from the IV that pumped up his birthweight. I would start cutting back on formula supplements and watch diaper output.

Another reason to be suspicious of that 15% figure is that I'm guessing that your baby's birth weight was done on a hospital scale, and then the pediatrician used a totally different scale at her office. There can be significant differences in calibration between scales.

Here's a link on how to wean from formula supplements: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html

So yes in answer to some of your questions, I am getting 2-2.5 oz per session however I'm only pumping about 3 times per days because I didn't know how often I should pump?!
    When your goal is to increase supply, the more often you can pump, the better. Increased demand and stimulation creates increased supply. When I had supply issues, I pumped every 2 hours during the day and every 3 at night, in addition to nursing.

But honestly, if you're getting 2-2.5 oz per pumping session, that's good, and indicates to me that you probably don't have a supply problem.

One weigh-feed-weigh test isn't a good measure of supply or milk transfer. At any given feeding, a baby may take in more or less milk than average. If you want to really know how much your baby is taking in at the breast, you need to do a whole bunch of w-f-w tests and then take an average.

It can't hurt and may well help.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Great advice from the ladies so far. Congratulations on your new little one and all of your hard work.

One thing I just want to add is that babies also nurse for comfort. I remember when my girl was a newborn she would nurse for 45 minutes at a time then take a 20 minute break. Your baby might not actually be "hungry" but just want to suckle.

I got Netflix and a Roku and watched every single episode of Lost in about a month. It was pretty much the only thing that kept me sane.