I have struggled with OALD and possible oversupply for about 2 weeks now. DD is 5 weeks old. I've had latch problems from day 1 and sores on both nipples since day 2. The sore on one breast has healed, while the other is still healing (it was bigger and on the "worse" breast).
Here are my symptoms of OALD
1. Constant leakage from both breasts at all hours and during nursing
2. DD pulls off of breast and the nipple is spraying milk, she screams and tries to latch back on, this cycle repeats
3. DD loses suction and makes a clicking sound, milk spills out of her mouth
4. DD sputters and chokes on milk
5. Plenty of wet diapers - at least 15 a day
6. Compression stripes from clamping, she'll also pull back on my breast with the nipple in her mouth - OUCH!
7. Multiple let-downs - not painful though - I can't feel them during, only if I'm not nursing.
However, I've never seen green explosive dirty diapers. She has about 3-5 dirty diapers a day and has gained almost 2lbs in one month. During the night she does not pull off the breast and scream, we have pleasant feedings actually.
I try to nurse in the side lying position or the "biological nursing" position to help with OALD, while it does help, it seems like during the day about 1/2 of the feedings involve the pulling off/screaming episodes where she doesn't empty the breast. Initially I was using the cross-cradle hold, my nipples used to come out looking like lipstick with compression stripes. I still have vasospasms throughout the day, they just don't hurt as bad anymore. I also have been nursing one side for 4hrs, maybe with little success.
Now I just let her latch on herself, it doesn't look like it's a deep latch, but it doesn't hurt anymore either - I feel tugging, but no pain. I have a small areola (I think) and her lips do cover the entire areola with the fish lips and all, but it just doesn't look like the pictures I've seen on the internet or in books.
I am worried she has found out that she doesn't have to have a good latch to get milk since it just sprays out with little effort. She also hates sleeping on her back... not sure if this is related.
Basically things are getting better since day one, but obviously I still have problems. Does anyone have any further suggestions that might help?
Thanks so much - sorry for the long post.