Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OALD Management

Default OALD Management

I have struggled with OALD and possible oversupply for about 2 weeks now. DD is 5 weeks old. I've had latch problems from day 1 and sores on both nipples since day 2. The sore on one breast has healed, while the other is still healing (it was bigger and on the "worse" breast).

Here are my symptoms of OALD

1. Constant leakage from both breasts at all hours and during nursing
    2. DD pulls off of breast and the nipple is spraying milk, she screams and tries to latch back on, this cycle repeats
    3. DD loses suction and makes a clicking sound, milk spills out of her mouth
    4. DD sputters and chokes on milk
    5. Plenty of wet diapers - at least 15 a day
    6. Compression stripes from clamping, she'll also pull back on my breast with the nipple in her mouth - OUCH!
    7. Multiple let-downs - not painful though - I can't feel them during, only if I'm not nursing.

However, I've never seen green explosive dirty diapers. She has about 3-5 dirty diapers a day and has gained almost 2lbs in one month. During the night she does not pull off the breast and scream, we have pleasant feedings actually.

I try to nurse in the side lying position or the "biological nursing" position to help with OALD, while it does help, it seems like during the day about 1/2 of the feedings involve the pulling off/screaming episodes where she doesn't empty the breast. Initially I was using the cross-cradle hold, my nipples used to come out looking like lipstick with compression stripes. I still have vasospasms throughout the day, they just don't hurt as bad anymore. I also have been nursing one side for 4hrs, maybe with little success.

Now I just let her latch on herself, it doesn't look like it's a deep latch, but it doesn't hurt anymore either - I feel tugging, but no pain. I have a small areola (I think) and her lips do cover the entire areola with the fish lips and all, but it just doesn't look like the pictures I've seen on the internet or in books.

I am worried she has found out that she doesn't have to have a good latch to get milk since it just sprays out with little effort. She also hates sleeping on her back... not sure if this is related.

Basically things are getting better since day one, but obviously I still have problems. Does anyone have any further suggestions that might help?

Thanks so much - sorry for the long post.

Post Re: OALD Management

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*fefe View Post
    She also hates sleeping on her back... not sure if this is related.
    Could be. She could be gassy/refluxy from it spraying too much.

I'm guessing you've seen the kellymom article about this? If not check it out
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

I have OS/OALD and I find it's gotten a lot better with block nursing and time. I still spray, but not as much. I don't recommend block nursing if you don't actually have OS (you may not, since you said she doesn't have green explosive diapers). But maybe you could start with feeding only on one side per session, or switch every 2 hours? That way it's not a major change and your LO may respond better at the later feedings on the same side.

DD and I have struggled with this since she was about 4 weeks old (she's now 13 weeks).

DD loses suction and makes a clicking sound, milk spills out of her mouth
    I saw an IBCLC who said the "clicking" is actually from the baby trying to slow down the flow. (My LO still clicks sometimes) We tried nursing "down under", taking off just before let down, etc., but none of that helped very much. Time seems to be what helped us - since she's turned 3 months she seems to do better. We're still block feeding.

I've also found that when she's fussy at the breast, I need to walk her around while nursing/trying to nurse. The walking relaxes her, and probably helps her have a less vigorous suck so that it sprays less, and she stays on longer and is able to comfort suck if she wants. Once she settles down enough, I move us to the rocking chair.

Default Re: OALD Management

So she doesn't have green stools (or are they green and just not explosive?)? What do they look like?

Now I just let her latch on herself, it doesn't look like it's a deep latch, but it doesn't hurt anymore either - I feel tugging, but no pain. I have a small areola (I think) and her lips do cover the entire areola with the fish lips and all, but it just doesn't look like the pictures I've seen on the internet or in books.
    I read a good article about latch recently (I'll see if I can find it again) that essentially said, it doesn't matter how it looks, it only matters if it works. If it's comfortable for you and she's getting enough milk, then it's fine even if it doesn't seem to match the standard advice.

Does she still lose suction when you let her latch on that way?
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Default Re: OALD Management

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllkaren View Post
    So she doesn't have green stools (or are they green and just not explosive?)? What do they look like?
    They are yellow, but can be explosive. They are almost always associated with a fart .

I read a good article about latch recently (I'll see if I can find it again) that essentially said, it doesn't matter how it looks, it only matters if it works. If it's comfortable for you and she's getting enough milk, then it's fine even if it doesn't seem to match the standard advice.
    I would love to see the link if you find it!

Does she still lose suction when you let her latch on that way?
    She only loses suction when the milk starts spraying out, then she'll slurp my nipple back in very fast, usually this doesn't hurt too much.

Also, I've noticed my nipples don't seem as "long" as they used to when I would assist her with the latch. However, my nipples are no longer misshaped and I don't have a compression stripe when I let her self latch. As I said prior, I do get vasospasms, which indicates she is still clamping down.

I've never really seen her with the "perfect latch", i.e. her lips at a 120 degree angle - maybe 110 or something. She does get milk easily - my let down is almost instantaneous. I just don't want to encourage bad latching habits if that's what is going on here.