Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Quick question...

Default Quick question...

My son is almost 2 weeks old and, while it's my 2nd child, breastfeeding didn't work well with my daughter and I ended up stopping after 2 weeks. This time around it's definitely better. I'm still a little sore, obviously exhausted, but willing to hang in there. When my son nurses, he will nurse for less than a minute and let go, get back on, do the same thing....it happens 5 or 6 times each time we start. Can anyone tell me why and how I can get him to stay latched? Also, he falls asleep so quickly and then wakes up hungry within minutes of putting him down. I rub his feet, his cheek and the jawline, which helps a little, and I've tried taking off some of his layers so he isn't so warm and comfy. Any other ideas? I need some advice.

Default Re: Quick question...

2 weeks is so young..
    maybe just tweaking how you hold him will help with the latching and unlatching...
    Do you have his body and head supported well?
    I noticed that my dd would unlatch if she wasn't.
    I used pilliows to help.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jmcelliott View Post
    My son is almost 2 weeks old and, while it's my 2nd child, breastfeeding didn't work well with my daughter and I ended up stopping after 2 weeks. This time around it's definitely better. I'm still a little sore, obviously exhausted, but willing to hang in there. When my son nurses, he will nurse for less than a minute and let go, get back on, do the same thing....it happens 5 or 6 times each time we start. Can anyone tell me why and how I can get him to stay latched? Also, he falls asleep so quickly and then wakes up hungry within minutes of putting him down. I rub his feet, his cheek and the jawline, which helps a little, and I've tried taking off some of his layers so he isn't so warm and comfy. Any other ideas? I need some advice.
    Cool wet washcloth. When mine was that young, if he fell asleep, I would wipe his face with a cold wet washcloth to wake him up.

breast compressions can help baby actively keep nursing when it is going well..