Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HELP!!! inverted nipples & 1st or 2nd degree tissue damage

Unhappy HELP!!! inverted nipples & 1st or 2nd degree tissue damage

I've been nursing my 5 week old since birth and have had trouble with his latch. He latched fine on my right side but the left was a problem. His poor latch caused a sore which reopens every time I try and nurse. I spoke with a lactation consultant at the hospital yesterday and after examining me she said to rest that breast for at least 24 hours to try and let the damage heal. I fed him only from my right side yesterday and by last night my right breast was bleeding. I'm at the end of my rope. The pain every time I try and feed him with these sores is unbearable. I wanted so much to nurse my son and have it be a beautiful bonding experience but I dread the experience because of the pain. I'm about to give up and turn exclusively to formula. We have supplemented with formula for the last 2 weeks due to poor weight gain.
    Please help.

Default Re: HELP!!! inverted nipples & 1st or 2nd degree tissue damage

You didn't mention the inverted nipples in the actual post - so I was just wondering more about that. Are you using a nipple shield??

Also - are they sores like blisters? On the areola or on the nipple? Or cracks in the nipple that have grown together to make one big "hole" in the nipple?

ouch thats got to be painful...
    but it sounds like they are both just as hurt, so that sounds like a combo of problems to me.

I'm wondering if baby has tounge tie? That can cause lots of problems for moms nipples. Along with the latch problems? removing milk problems too,
    and add broken skin you can get an infection real quick.

are you putting anything on your nipples to get them to heal?

I have inversion on one side and used a shield for about 2 months. That can help protect the soreness too. It can take a lot of patience to get a newborn to open wide enough. I would have to make my son almost angry and then we got it. My LC told me I was being too gentle.
    Motherlove has a great cream/ointment you can use as often as you need. Also putting just a little fresh breastmilk on the sore helps.
    SAHM to my sweet December baby boy.

Post Re: HELP!!! inverted nipples & 1st or 2nd degree tissue damage

I have been using a nipple shield since he was born and it works well. I know he's getting the milk because if he lets go I can see milk collected in the nipple. The sores are on the aerola. It is almost like he has ripped the skin apart in trying to pull the nipple out. It has caused a rather large sore which i put some of the milk on and allow to air dry but as soon as he nurses again it rips open (rather painfully) and I have to try and start the whole process over again. I haven't nursed for 48 hours now on the left and 36 on the right. I've been pumping to make sure I don't lose my milk supply but I'm not getting a whole lot of milk. I'm worried that I've lost my milk supply in an attempt to heal my breasts. Is there anything I can take as far as medicine or herbal supplements to increase my milk supply?

this might be helpful
    how often are you pumping?
    what sort of pump do you have?

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/ma...pply-pump.html