Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supply after stomach virus

Default Supply after stomach virus

I had a terrible stomach bug and could not hold any fluids down for 24 hours. I already had a low supply before this and now it has tanked. I am worried dd is going to wean over this. Any suggestions. I am drinking water and Gatorade now. Dd is 16 months. Diapers are not very wet at all? Can I get my supply back? Dd will only nurse 4 times a day.

Default Re: Supply after stomach virus

day or 2 and you should be making more milk.

we had a 24 hour stomach flu and it is awful. my supply was back in a couple of days, ds was also nursing extra because he was sick too.
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again

We had the same thing, and DD was nursing like crazy casue she was sick too. It actually was painful casue I was so sick, but somehow we made it thru! I forced myself to drink gatorade, guess that helped!

hope you feel better!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Yeah after stomach virus it can stay low a few days but should get back to where it was in a few days. Take care of yourself and try to get extra rest.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Ugh I had the same thing a few weeks ago. It was horrible. My kidneys ached!

Drink lots of fluids, rest and try some oatmeal if you can tolerate it! It might take a couple days for your body to return to homeostasis but it will get there!
    Proud Mama to Noah Michael and Baby Charlie