Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: close to giving up

Default Re: close to giving up

I agree that if you have OS, you definitely don't want to have pump anymore than you have to. The more you stimulate the breast, the more it will produce. That said, before nursing your LO, you can always pump just until your milk lets down, being prepared to catch or soak up whatever spray/leaking you may have, and then nurse your LO. And definitely try to lean back so that gravity is helping you, and not making it worse.

LO is 8 weeks now but my nipples are still sore and I'm starting to have a crack on my left nipple on which she had a good latch on but I don't know why it has a crack and it's painful. I've gone this far so I guess all I have to do is be more patient and wait until her mouth becomes bigger and she stops playing with my nipples. I've been pumping for the past couple of days again just to let my nipple heal I don't know if this will interfere with the latching issues though since she has not been on my breast for a while.

I'm still hopeful.

Did you treat for thrush?

I have not treated for thrush yet my OB said it's not thrush but on Tuesday I'm going to another doctor for a second opinion.I might even ask for possible raynaud's. Pain on my left breast is for sure a latching issuse because my nipple is flat or has a white line in the middle after feeding but no burning sensation. Sometimes she would latch ok on the right breast but still pain ful during and after feeding and my nipple looks bruised. I'm back on pump again after 2.5 days of EBF. My nipples never heal completely. Pain goes away when I'm just pumping.

If it's going away when pumping, it's probably not thrush.

Sorry I haven't re read the thread. Have you had an IBCLC or ENT evaluate your LO for tongue-tie? I had cracked, blistered nipples for three months because the ped insisted my DD wasn't tongue-tied when she actually was (type four - harder to diagnose)

This article was helpful:

http://www.aap.org/breastfeeding/fil...Newsletter.pdf

Yes. She was a little bit tongue-tied and the Ped already clipped it. Was yours clipped?

My LO still not opening her mouth wider and I can also feel her tongue playing with my nipple during feeding. She's using pacifier 'cause sometimes she likes to comfort nurse and I can't give my breast because of the pain. Do you think that contributes to the batch latch?

Honestly, currently I enjoy pumping more than BF but I still want to experience pain-free BF. I'll probably give it more time, maybe 3 months?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Oh Mama, I've BTDT and it is NO FUN. If I had to repeat my breastfeeding experience with my first... Gosh, I guess I'd do it but only because I now know that it does get better if you can just hang in there long enough. Which I know is like having someone tell you "Just keep sticking your finger into this electrical socket and eventually you're going to be glad you did."

So much of what fixes latch problems is time. A tiny baby has a tiny mouth, and it's hard for that mouth to take the big, deep bite of breast that results in a pain-free latch. But babies grow, and their mouths grow. Eventually your LO will grow enough that she'll be able to take a deep bite of breast every single time, and when that happens the pain will end. You have an older child, so you know how fast a newborn transforms into a baby, and then how rapidly that baby turns into a big kid...

One thing you said really resonates with me. You said that "every feeding is a battle." When my first was a newborn, I felt the same way. It was so painful that I screamed every time she latched on- and I'd thought nursing was going to be this lovely, peaceful, pleasurable thing! I was worried that we wouldn't bond right because nursing was so painful- but in the end I realized that nothing bonds you tighter than going through a battle together.

You can do it, Mama. We'll do whatever we can to help. What can we say to make you feel better?

Melissa
    Mommy to 3 babies
    Emily 8.11.05 My darling daughterEvan 6.28.07 the baddest, sweetest little guy I ever met
    Eliot 6.1.2010 coming soon and soon to be again!

I did not give you the gift of life, God gave me the gift of you.

My DD is 6 weeks old today. My OB doc thought maybe my nipple pain was thrush/yeast but after two weeks of treatment, the pain has gone down but has not gone away. I'm about ready to give up too. I am working with a lactation nurse who says to keep working on a good latch, but I can't get baby to open her mouth wider and ontop of that, she nurses all day long and never seems satisfied.

Thanks everyone, it's comforting to know so many other moms have had trouble too.

Okay, if your baby was for sure tongue-tied and clipped, that can cause long term issues with latch, which could really aggravate your nipple pain. Ladies, I know someone once posted about tongue stretching exercises ... what was that? I don't have personal experience with this, but I know that clipping the tie doesn't always magically cure the latch problems and more is required ... ??

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.