Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: close to giving up

Default Re: close to giving up

You're in a rough spot right now! I agree with the advice you've already gotten, that time to grow will help, as could the advice for dealing with OS and OALD. I just wanted to mention too about the bottles you're using. I also switched to EPing when BFing was just too painful, and everytime I would try BFing again, it was just excruciating. Finally, one week after going to the meeting my hospital had for newly BFing mamas, I bought new bottles and it changed DD's latch immediately. I'm sure part of it was that she had grown in the meantime while I was EPing, but I know we had a bad case of nipple confusion, because when I ran out of clean nipples for the new bottles and I used an old bottle (I was still having DH give her a bottle in the evenings during her fussy period) it was excruciating the next time I tried to nurse her. Took me a bit to put 2 and 2 together through the sleep-deprived fog. Anyway, all of that to say the bottles the LC recommended that I switched to were the Playtex NaturaLatch. Hang in there! I promise you can get through this!

ETA: It was 11 weeks for us, if that helps. Whenever I read about this magical 6 week mark, then saw it come and go with no change, I lost so much hope. So please don't feel like you're past some cutoff date for your LO to figure it out. Mine eventually did, and she was older than 7 weeks.

Just wanted to add, I am not sure if you have already contacted your local LLL leader and attended any meetings. If not I highly reccomend doing so. She can help you with the latch issues, as she will be watching you latch your baby. I have seen soooooo many moms FINALLY have their babies latch on correctly at LLL meetings! If you need help finding your local leader, just let us know here!

hang in there you are doing GREAT!!!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Your description of the pain being like a stabbing knife made me wonder if you might indeed have thrush. It's possible to only have thrush on one side, which is something I didn't realize the first time I got it. I would definitely check with your doctor about it, and if you get prescribed diflucan, make sure you get three weeks' worth. My doctor explained that anything less and the thrush could return--which is extremely frustrating and not something you want to deal with.

I just saw your other post, and realize maybe I should have replied that one instead. Definitely see your gynecologist about the thrush, since it's possible for the baby to not show any symptoms. Also, do a search on this forum about grapefruit seed extract--something you can use, in addition to any medication your doctor might prescribe (if it IS thrush). Lots of . I remember how excruciating the pain was when I had thrush. It felt like broken shards of glass piercing through my breast, from the tip of my nipple all the way out my back.

Just got back from my OB appointment. I'm negative for thrush since I don't have the physical signs and symptoms. Although my nipples are sore with burning sensation this could be due to incorrect latching which I still have to work on. I also have OS which means I have to nurse or pump more often. There is also no sign of any infection (bacterial/fungal). I also have an open Irritated duct which can be due to engorgement or OS which I always experience. Need to apply warm compress before and after feeding. If possible use breast shield on breast where there is irritation to avoid skin contact while healing. He was going to prescribe an ointment but I suggested the APNO which he did not know about, I just gave him the recipe and he issued the prescription. He also said I just need to relax and not to stress out and hang in there.

I hope in the next couple of days it will get better. Just crossing my fingers.

Thanks again for all the support. It helped a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    I would still treat for thrush. Dr Jay Gordon's site has info on how to use grapefruit seed extract and you don't need an RX for it.
    I agree 100%. The second I read "burning" I was thinking, but dang, that sounds like thrush! And the thing about thrush is that you can safely treat it with Jay Gordon's method, and if you don't have it after all, you haven't lost anything. But if you do, it will improve. I think it's worth trying. IME, thrush goes WAY underdiagnosed by docs. I had to go to three different people before I got the diagnosis myself, and by that time, I was in toe-curling AGONY every time I sat down to nurse. But Joe never showed symptoms, so the docs kept blowing me off.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Post Re: close to giving up

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*inay2 View Post
    I also have OS which means I have to nurse or pump more often. There is also no sign of any infection (bacterial/fungal). I also have an open Irritated duct which can be due to engorgement or OS which I always experience.
    Did your OB tell you to nurse and pump more because of the OS? If you have a plugged duct, then you probably don't want to restrict nursing. But in the long run, pumping and nursing more will increase your supply, making the issues you're having worse.

I guess it's because at least twice a day I don't nurse or pump for 4 to 5 hours when LO is asleep after that long hours of not pumping my breast is engorged and I get pain.

Started breastfeeding again after 3 days of EP. LO still not latching correctly and there's clicking during feeding and clamping on nipple after feeding. She also chokes sometimes during feeding. Does this look like OALD even if milk does not spray when I try to express some milk? although when I pump the milk just sprays out of the nipple. If I have OALD, does pumping or expressing before feeding help with the clamping & clicking issue?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*inay2 View Post
    I guess it's because at least twice a day I don't nurse or pump for 4 to 5 hours when LO is asleep after that long hours of not pumping my breast is engorged and I get pain.
    How much milk do you get when you pump after 4-5 hours?

LO still not latching correctly and there's clicking during feeding and clamping on nipple after feeding. She also chokes sometimes during feeding. Does this look like OALD even if milk does not spray when I try to express some milk?
    Clicking, clamping, and choking are all symptoms of OALD, though they can have other causes. And you can have OALD w/o seeing spraying milk during hand expression. What you see when pumping is probably more indicative of what your baby gets when nursing- babies and pumps tend to stimulate faster, stronger letdowns than your hand can.

If I have OALD, does pumping or expressing before feeding help with the clamping & clicking issue?
    Quite possibly yes, if the root cause of the clamping/clicking is OALD. The emptier the breast, the slower letdowns generally are.

HOWEVER, if you have OALD and it is due to oversupply, you want to minimize your pump use. Every drop you remove from the breast is a drop your body will replace, so overuse of the pump can perpetuate or worsen oversupply.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree that if you have OS, you definitely don't want to have pump anymore than you have to. The more you stimulate the breast, the more it will produce. That said, before nursing your LO, you can always pump just until your milk lets down, being prepared to catch or soak up whatever spray/leaking you may have, and then nurse your LO. And definitely try to lean back so that gravity is helping you, and not making it worse.