Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Do I have to start now?

Question Do I have to start now?

Hi! Im going back to work the third week of January (which is in roughly two weeks). I started pumping at the beginning of this week: once in the am, once during DD1's naptime, and once before bed. Im making at or more than 12 ounces (which is how much my then 7 week old will need in an 8 hour period?) in three pumping sessions. I started pumping just to see how much I could make; knowing that I can do that, (make the 12 extra ounces in a day) do I have to continue pumping or can I just wait until I go back to work? It should be said that I will not be working consecutive days--I do 8 hour shift work in the evenings and midnights and my days are spaced out.

I've dropped the third pump session (cause its exhausting and such a hassle!) and Im just doing one in the morning and before bed for now and freezing it or letting DH have a bottle feeding once in a while. So maybe just keep the two and pick up the third (or more) as needed when I return to work?

Thanks

Default Re: Do I have to start now?

I didn't with both of my kids. I just waited until I started working to start pumping. A couple days before I'd start so I'd have enough for that first day and then I just pumped enough for the next day. Of course that meant I didn't have a stash to fall back on in emergencies, but depending on how much your output is you might be able to do both. It's really up to you. I wouldn't pump too many times a day in addition to nursing or you could create an oversupply problem. It's different when you are pumping instead of nursing.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

with PP. I would try to drop that second pump session, keeping your morning one. If you pump three times in your 8 hr work day, you should make plenty of milk for the next day. What I noticed with that routine for me was I kept making that "extra" feeding once I went back to work - the extra am pumping session, plus the three times he would have nursed during the work day. I ended up w/ a lot of extra milk in the freezer such that we almost had to buy an extra freezer
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Ok great, thanks! I will probably just hold off until a day or two before work then I do have OALD/OS(?) on my left side and it had gotten better, no more leaking, choking, etc, and since I started pumping it came back a bit I was hoping I would be able to start closer to work and my body could regulate then instead of starting now; God is cool like that! Thanks for the feedback