Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BMing to often?

Default BMing to often?

I have started to get very worried about my 12 month old... he has a BM anywhere from 2-4 times a day. Many are just about right, many are much more watery than I would expect.

I was starting to think about eliminating certain foods out of his diet (starting w/cheese), and them my mother told me it was probably because he still BFs. He nurses 2-3 good times during the day, and 1+ smaller nursings at night.

Any thoughts? Think I should be worried?
    In His Love, Rosie

Graicen Wynter
    1-6-10 at 11:48pm
    7 lb. 12 oz

Default Re: BMing to often?

Well, loose stools are totally normal, but I do think if the stools are "watery" that's a sign of diarrhea. Does he have any diaper rash? It might be a stomach bug, Joe has had those several times, and they can go on for weeks. He's otherwise happy, but has diarrhea and a diaper rash.

Why eliminate cheese? I don't know if what you are describing sounds like a dairy allergy, and otherwise, cheese generally, ahem, slows things down a bit, which sounds like a good thing. Does he drink juice or anything like that?

It's true that BF'd babies have looser stools, but generally not watery stools.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

You know... well, I think you might be right. I think "loose" is the correct word more than watery. But I will start taking note from now on. If, in fact, they are loose... but he still BMs several times a day, is that ok??
    In His Love, Rosie

Graicen Wynter
    1-6-10 at 11:48pm
    7 lb. 12 oz

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*grae4me View Post
    You know... well, I think you might be right. I think "loose" is the correct word more than watery. But I will start taking note from now on. If, in fact, they are loose... but he still BMs several times a day, is that ok??
    Absolutely. That would not worry me at all. Joe usually has two BMs a day, but sometimes more, and sometimes he'll skip a day or two and have a massive blowout the next day. Basically, any amount can be totally normal for a breastfed baby, you'll probably know if something isn't right (like I said, when Joe has had a stomach bug he has had very watery poops and a mean rash, hard to miss).

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

At 12 months, my DD was still nursing a ton--maybe six to eight times a day--but introducing solids definitely made her poop firm up fairly consistently and it never went back to the way it was when she was exclusively breastfed. In fact, in the early months after introducing solids, her poo got really hard, even though she wasn't actually eating that much. So, to be honest, I don't think it's the breast milk that's causing the loose stools.

Something similar happened to DD when she was about 17 months old: sudden frequent and soft bowel movements. I went to the doctor and he told me it could be anything--gee, thanks. I eliminated dairy, and things got better after about two months. But to be honest, she can now drink milk and I'll never know if it really had been dairy that was the culprit. Sometimes, you just have to wait it out. Guess the pediatrician's attitude had been kind of correct. Only thing to watch out for is diaper rash, which DD got a bad case of at the same time that her poop suddenly softened up.

Um, I go a couple of times a day. . . It's perfectly normal to go after every meal (in fact, it's great to be regular!).

My DS's stools are softer when he's been BFing more frequently.

Unless it's causing your LO distress, I personally wouldn't worry about it.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.