Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding and HIV

Default Breastfeeding and HIV

Hello,

A close family member of mine is currently pregnant, she is a young girl who was born HIV positive due to her mothers and fathers being positive. She has been on medications her whole life and the virus is currently undetectable. She was given the ok to have a natural birth and the chances of the baby being sick are 2 percent or less. She really wants to breastfeed but keeps getting mixed signals. She has read on line and in books that it is safe but her doctors warn against it. Does anyone have experience with this matter, should she listen to her doctors? She is really torn about this. Any advice would help.
    Mom to Mariella 8/6/05, Konstantinos 10/24/06 and Antonis 3/4/10, breastfeeding for the first time. Just make a year!

Default Re: Breastfeeding and HIV

I Think there is some info here on the website...

is she here in the states?

Yes, she lives in NYC. Thank you, I will send this to her. There is a big push to breastfeed and while I applaud that (and wish there was more support when i had my daughter), it has cause her some pain. Every time she goes to an appointment the nurses push breastfeeding, she was so torn up about it that they put a pop up warning on her chart that she cannot breast feed so that nurses and the social workers would stop mentioning it to her.
    Mom to Mariella 8/6/05, Konstantinos 10/24/06 and Antonis 3/4/10, breastfeeding for the first time. Just make a year!

awe I bet it is hard on her.

But most doctors know little to nothing about nursing babies.
    Has she spoken with a local leader? She could get her more info to.

I think the information and recommendations for hiv positive mothers is changing. 12 years ago I did an internship with a local AIDS coaltion, and it was understood that hiv+ moms would ABSOLUTELY not breastfeed. Nor could they have a natural childbirth, though. I think the recommendations are changing as the treatment options are better and more effective at maintaining undetectable viral loads.

Poz.com is a great resource for most things HIV related.

and kellymom.com has several position papers focused on HIV and breastfeeding. I've not read them, but I think that WHO is recommending that hiv + moms who are on ARVs breastfeed for a year to decrease risk of infection. (someone correct me if i'm wrong!)

I've not done a whole lot of reading/research about this in the last five years or so, so obviously make sure Mom does more of her own before she makes her decision. I would recommend talking to a local AIDS coalition and doctors who are experts, specifically with pediatric HIV.

here's a link for somewhere to start with kellymom, with lots more info if you do a search for HIV on the site's home.

http://kellymom.com/momblog/blog-pos...-for-hiv-moms/
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

so obviously make sure Mom does more of her own before she makes her decision. I would recommend talking to a local AIDS coalition and doctors who are experts, specifically with pediatric HIV.

yeah and I think she just has to figure it all out on her own. gather as much info as she can and try to do the best she can with that info.

and if thats not nurse and she has to use donor milk or formula she shouldn't feal guilty at all....

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrea.wolford View Post
    and if thats not nurse and she has to use donor milk or formula she shouldn't feal guilty at all....
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrea.wolford View Post
    so obviously make sure Mom does more of her own before she makes her decision. I would recommend talking to a local AIDS coalition and doctors who are experts, specifically with pediatric HIV.

yeah and I think she just has to figure it all out on her own. gather as much info as she can and try to do the best she can with that info.

I think you are doing a great thing by heloing her research this. It must be so overwhleming for her. And I completely agree that she should feel no guilt in whatever decision she decides to make.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness