Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pumping for outings?

Default pumping for outings?

My little one is doing very well at breastfeeding so far. She's 2 weeks old today! I'm ready to start getting out more but I'm still not comfortable breastfeeding in public. I've pumped a couple of times and she will take a bottle though she's not very happy about it (I did find that she prefers the Medela bottles to the Even Flow ones that I had). We went to church Sunday and I pumped that morning and brought along a bottle, which she took just fine during church. I know that breast milk can be kept at room temperature for like 4 hours or so. But what about when we will be gone longer than that? How do I keep the milk fresh? And if it needs to be chilled, what if I'm somewhere where I can't warm it up? I guess these are pretty simple questions but I know there are other moms out there who have worked out the logistics of this stuff, lol!

Default Re: pumping for outings?

You shouldnt worry about nursing in public - its easier than you think. I used to be really nervous and would only do it in the car - or if I had to I would use a cover. Now I"m getting much more comfortable nursing even without a cover. I wear the camis under a shirt and just raise my shirt on the one side and bring down the cami - its really discreet and no one freaks out like I thought they would. They should be especially supportive at church since its such a natural thing. You could always sit in the back corner if that makes you more comfortable.
    In the beginning I did use a bottle when we were out like you. If its going to be more than a couple of hours, put the milk in a cooler with an ice pack. I take mine in the Lansinoh bags and when its time to use them, I would warm the bag with my hands or under my shirt (a little chilly but it works in a bind).
    I'm a proud first time mommy , born 10/19/2010 and a wife to an amazing husband

Birth 10/19/2010: 7lbs 3oz
    3 days old 10/22: 6lbs 6oz
    2 1/2 weeks old 11/05: 6lbs 14oz
    4 weeks old 11/17: 7lbs 15oz
    8 weeks old 12/15: 10lbs
    4 months old 2/28: 14lbs

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2claire View Post
    My little one is doing very well at breastfeeding so far. She's 2 weeks old today! I'm ready to start getting out more but I'm still not comfortable breastfeeding in public. I've pumped a couple of times and she will take a bottle though she's not very happy about it (I did find that she prefers the Medela bottles to the Even Flow ones that I had). We went to church Sunday and I pumped that morning and brought along a bottle, which she took just fine during church. I know that breast milk can be kept at room temperature for like 4 hours or so. But what about when we will be gone longer than that? How do I keep the milk fresh? And if it needs to be chilled, what if I'm somewhere where I can't warm it up? I guess these are pretty simple questions but I know there are other moms out there who have worked out the logistics of this stuff, lol!
    Breastmilk is good for at least 8 hours at room temperature. As for warming it, you might invest in a portable/travel warmer. I believe Munchkin makes one that will plug into a car lighter - based on reviews, it works better when the bottle is already at room temperature.

At only 2 weeks old I would recommend you not start pumping and giving baby bottles yet. At this early stage missing feedings can result in a serious drop in your milk production (unless you are pumping while your baby is being given a bottle). On your baby's part, having bottles this early can cause nipple preference since it is much easier to get milk from a bottle than from the breast. Generally it is not recommended to give a baby a bottle until at least 5 weeks.

What is it about nursing in public that makes you uncomfortable? Maybe there are some tips we can give you that would help. If you really are totally set against nursing in public though, I would just avoid going out for a few more weeks. Even after that the first 3 or 4 months or so, if you give a bottle while you are out it is very important that you pump so that your breasts aren't being sent the signal to make less milk.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

So the milk doesn't need to be really WARM then? I would think it would take some time to warm it under your shirt or something like that if it was chilled. And I'm hearing lots of different answers for how long breast milk is good for at room temperature. You're the 2nd one who's said 8 hours. I'm just so afraid I'll give my baby spoiled milk! I like the idea of the portable bottle warmer. Too bad the cigarette lighter in my car doesn't work, haha.
    I'm sure I'll get more comfortable BF'ing in public eventually. Then again, maybe not. I guess eventually my baby will latch on really quick. She latches good now but sometimes it takes her a few minutes. Sometimes during those minutes she's trying to suck and milk ends up EVERYwhere. I guess I'm just not prepared to deal with that in public yet! ( :

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2claire View Post
    So the milk doesn't need to be really WARM then? I would think it would take some time to warm it under your shirt or something like that if it was chilled. And I'm hearing lots of different answers for how long breast milk is good for at room temperature. You're the 2nd one who's said 8 hours. I'm just so afraid I'll give my baby spoiled milk! I like the idea of the portable bottle warmer. Too bad the cigarette lighter in my car doesn't work, haha.
    I'm sure I'll get more comfortable BF'ing in public eventually. Then again, maybe not. I guess eventually my baby will latch on really quick. She latches good now but sometimes it takes her a few minutes. Sometimes during those minutes she's trying to suck and milk ends up EVERYwhere. I guess I'm just not prepared to deal with that in public yet! ( :
    Here's a good resource regarding milk storage:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkstorage.html

It says 10 hours, but I use 8 just to be safe...

I think what's intimidating to me about BF'ing in public right now is my milk going everywhere! Lots of times, my baby will take a break from nursing and my milk just streams down before I can catch it with a cloth. And I end up with a soaked bra and shirt. I know that will get better but for now I just don't want to deal with that outside my house.
    I'm not too worried about her preferring the bottle over my breast. She had bottles of formula in the hospital because the doctors wanted her to stay under the bili lights as much as possible, and I've given her a few bottles (of breast milk) since then, and she still prefers the breast. I have to go back to work in about 4 weeks, and I plan on pumping then. I can't stay in the house much longer though! I'm ready to get out with her. I've been going on short trips by myself, just to WalMart or something like that, but I won't stay gone longer than 2 hours in case she gets hungry (so far, every time I leave her my mom says she sleeps the whole time!).

Thanks for that link, I'm headed to it now! ( :

also keep in mind as Paige stated...you HAVE TO pump for this missed feeding, so that means if you are at church and baby takes a bottle, you should be pumping then and having someone else bottle feed, especially at 2 weeks, your production will nose dive if you continue to miss these cues/sessions.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    also keep in mind as Paige stated...you HAVE TO pump for this missed feeding, so that means if you are at church and baby takes a bottle, you should be pumping then and having someone else bottle feed, especially at 2 weeks, your production will nose dive if you continue to miss these cues/sessions.
    That seem to defeat the point, from what I understand. Can someone explain why she has to pump at that very moment? Can't she feed the bottle to the baby during service and then pump immediately after service? We're talking 45minutes to an hour later, right?