Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Alternate Storage

  1. #1

    Default Alternate Storage

    So, I had one of those mornings....had my last feeding with LO at 4:30AM...when I have to be up at 5AM to get ready for work. I usually pump between 5AM 545AM and then feed him again at around 6:30AM and then head out at 7AM for my long commute to the office.

    Well, I remember the alarm going off and I remember hitting snooze and then the next thing I knew, I was laying there looking at the clock, which read 7:01AM. Dart up and bolt for the shower. Before hitting it, I wake my husband and tell him I've woken up late and that he will need to feed LO a bottle of expressed milk for the morning.

    I shower (but don't wash hair), get ready (thank god I now prepare my clothes the night before), grab my blackberry, grab my PISA bag and am on the road by 7:15AM.

    I managed to get to work on time despite the late start. But I've missed my morning feeding and my morning pump. Typically, I only get 1 hour for lunch and do all my pumping in that hour. I usually get around 10-11 ounces. (I'm large busted so I have a large storage capacity.) So, I arrange to run down and pump at 10AM and I pump both breasts a total of 4 oz. Well, I find that I only brought two 5 oz. Medela bottles today (in my rush I didn't notice). So, I have a total of 6 ounces of storage for my lunch pump (which I will be doing moments from now), which will probably require 10-11 ounces. What to do? Here's my question:

    I have a rubbermaid container in my desk that I've washed under scalding hot water. It has not been boiled or steamed for sterilization....is it safe for me to empty the 4 oz. I pumped earlier into this container so that my 2 bottles are empty and available for my lunch pump?
    Last edited by @llli*desertchildaz; January 5th, 2011 at 02:45 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,511

    Default Re: Alternate Storage

    If you have some soap, I might use that. But other than that, depending on what was previously in it, I would probably use it.

    Is there a conatiner that you used for lunch that is now or can be emptied and used? What about a coffee mug or cup?

    Hi, I'm Allison

    Mama to Henry Carl 12/28/06

    7lbs, 15 oz, 20.5 in
    Breastfed for 20 months!

    Mama to Ryan Thomas 11/20/08
    8lbs, 7 oz, 21 in
    Breastfed for 30 months!
    Mama to angel 4/03, Mama to angel 12/05


    Feb TBTTW 33.1/70

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    miles from nowhere
    Posts
    11,107

    Default Re: Alternate Storage

    How old is your baby? If not a newborn I'd say go for it. I pumped into styrofoam coffee cups from our office breakroom on a few occasions after forgetting bottles. I never worried about sterilization much once I was over thrush.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,805

    Default Re: Alternate Storage

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*desertchildaz View Post
    So, I had one of those mornings....had my last feeding with LO at 4:30AM...when I have to be up at 5AM to get ready for work. I usually pump between 5AM 545AM and then feed him again at around 6:30AM and then head out at 7AM for my long commute to the office.

    Well, I remember the alarm going off and I remember hitting snooze and then the next thing I knew, I was laying there looking at the clock, which read 7:01AM. Dart up and bolt for the shower. Before hitting it, I wake my husband and tell him I've woken up late and that he will need to feed LO a bottle of expressed milk for the morning.

    I shower (but don't wash hair), get ready (thank god I now prepare my clothes the night before), grab my blackberry, grab my PISA bag and am on the road by 7:15AM.

    I managed to get to work on time despite the late start. But I've missed my morning feeding and my morning pump. Typically, I only get 1 hour for lunch and do all my pumping in that hour. I usually get around 10-11 ounces. (I'm large busted so I have a large storage capacity.) So, I arrange to run down and pump at 10AM and I pump both breasts a total of 4 oz. Well, I find that I only brought two 5 oz. Medela bottles today (in my rush I didn't notice). So, I have a total of 6 ounces of storage for my lunch pump (which I will be doing moments from now), which will probably require 10-11 ounces. What to do? Here's my question:

    I have a rubbermaid container in my desk that I've washed under scalding hot water. It has not been boiled or steamed for sterilization....is it safe for me to empty the 4 oz. I pumped earlier into this container so that my 2 bottles are empty and available for my lunch pump?
    I would... i've had to be pretty creative sometimes. I'd saying taking a chance is better than wasting it. OR you could dump half into each bottle and pump directly on top of that. It's not a great idea to mix temps i guess, but i've done it with no issues. OR if you have any ziploc freezer baggies in your kitchen at work, you could use those, they're bpa free (if they're the namebrand).
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

  5. #5

    Default Re: Alternate Storage

    I pumped & dumped in to a water bottle. Like a water from a vending machine bottle when I had more out put than usual and nowhere to put it.
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

    “Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

    Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    6,467

    Default Re: Alternate Storage

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kellyann View Post
    I pumped & dumped in to a water bottle. Like a water from a vending machine bottle when I had more out put than usual and nowhere to put it.
    i have too
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

    Watch Your Language

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    miles from nowhere
    Posts
    11,107

    Default Re: Alternate Storage

    dirty hippies...
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,538

    Default Re: Alternate Storage

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    dirty hippies...
    at least they aren't contaminating their children with Styrofoam



    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

  9. #9

    Default Re: Alternate Storage

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    dirty hippies...
    Right, but you're also looking at the girl that has been known to listen to 45 minutes of a band with her contact lens in her mouth so she doesn't miss anything... waiting until Drums to go to the bathroom and put it back in.
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

    “Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

    Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    miles from nowhere
    Posts
    11,107

    Default Re: Alternate Storage

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lidarln View Post
    at least they aren't contaminating their children with Styrofoam


    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kellyann View Post
    waiting until Drums to go to the bathroom and put it back in.
    I'm telling my dad you said that.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •