Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping timing help pls

Default Pumping timing help pls

Ive been exclusively breastfeeding my 2 week old up to this point and he eats about every 2-3 hours but I just bought a pump and would like to start pumping/some bottles in the next 3 or so. I'd like to pump just to be able to give him a bottle or 2 so I can leave him for more than 2-3 hours or not have to worry about finding somewhere to nurse him if we are out for that long.

Say for example I feed him and then pump after the first morning feeding and then we are out for the day and I give him a bottle for the next feeding or 2 how long can I go w/o either nursing him or having to pump? Can I go say 6 hours just feeding him w/ the bottles and not have to worry about nursing or pumping??

Default Re: Pumping timing help pls

I would so 6 hours is waaaayy too long to go without pumping or nursing that early on. I've been told and read that the first 4-6 weeks ish are the building blocks of your supply and your breasts really need stimulated every 2-3 hours, especially at two weeks. I will have a five week old on Friday and I know the three hour 'leash' (that's what I call it) can be a pain, but it really is important and it will get better as time goes on. I'm not comfortable nursing in public yet, but I know there's always the car Good luck and I wouldn't chance it!

6 hours the early could really hurt your supply. Even if you will be away that long, pumping every 2-3 is recommended, at least until you get your supply established and the nursing relationship down.

My own example: I pumped every 3 hours when I first went back to work at 12 weeks with DD1. It gradually got to the point where I could go every 3.5-4 hours (she was about 9 mos and taking in some solids), to the point when I pump weaned at a year but would still feel the 'bite' a bit when I was away from her for a little longer than a full day (say a meeting ran long, etc.).

I know it sounds like forever and being on that timetable is a bit stressful in the beginning. But it does get better. Just be prepared to pump at least 2x during the 6 hours you're away from your LO.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

At this point to maintain supply you need to pump for every missed feed so it's really no easier to have someone give baby a bottle because you have to be pumping at that time. Six hours is WAY too long to go you will severly impact your supply.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

A couple of additional thoughts - most things I've read recommend not introducing a bottle until more like 4 weeks old to hopefully avoid "nipple confusion" between the bottle and breastfeeding.

Can we help you figure out how to nurse your baby in public? It can take some practice, but it's very helpful to be able to nurse baby anywhere or even "on the go". Depending on your comfort level, there are lots of different options for nursing clothes or covers. Or some people like to use a carrier like a sling for nursing in public.

IME it's easier to just nurse baby than to bring along a bottle and figure out how to warm it up and also make sure to pump for every bottle given to not impact supply.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Red face Re: Pumping timing help pls

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*pinkjellybean456 View Post
    Ive been exclusively breastfeeding my 2 week old up to this point and he eats about every 2-3 hours but I just bought a pump and would like to start pumping/some bottles in the next 3 or so. I'd like to pump just to be able to give him a bottle or 2 so I can leave him for more than 2-3 hours or not have to worry about finding somewhere to nurse him if we are out for that long.

Say for example I feed him and then pump after the first morning feeding and then we are out for the day and I give him a bottle for the next feeding or 2 how long can I go w/o either nursing him or having to pump? Can I go say 6 hours just feeding him w/ the bottles and not have to worry about nursing or pumping??
    I went through the same concerns about nursing in public and not wanting to stop what I was doing to nurse, but then (for me) it turned out to be the easiest, fastest way to feed him--whenever he wants. I just throw a blanket over my shoulder and relax for 15 minutes.

As far as pumping for the day goes, there may be something you want to consider--the less frequently you pump/nurse, the less you'll make. Its the whole supply/demand. Eventually (from my experience and research) you'll produce less and less if you go 6 hours without expressing milk in any way. Not to mention, 6 hours of not nursing can be really painful!

I would supplement one bottle a day (in my opinion)--if you'll be gone, say, 8 hours total, I would give a bottle the first feeding and then nurse the second. If you pump for 10 minutes or so after each feeding at HOME then you can build a nice freezer stash, AND trigger more milk production so your supply won't dip.

Lastly--I hope you don't get offended!--I think you should consider just nursing while you're out. It seems like a hassle sometimes but its just a short time in your life

Good luck! These ladies are GREAT for advice
    Exclusive , ,Christian mommy!
    Bloggin' Mommy