Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting solids, a few concerns

Default Re: Starting solids, a few concerns

1. I would wait until I knew baby was ready (I mean REALLY ready) for eating. I'm an on-demand BF'er. I will nurse him for 3 hours if he wanted to and whenever he wants to. So there's no issue of lack of supply or him not being offered BM. I swore I would wait until 7 or 8 mos to even consider feeding him anything other than BM. BUT as it turned out, 5 mos old he was RAVENOUSLY grabbing at whatever we were eating. He'd SCREAM as he watched us eat. So I constantly had to stop eating, BF him, then resume eating. ONLY to have him grabbing and screaming again. He is a very aggressive eater. SO I decided--it's time to start pureed foods.

2. I discovered how easy it is to make home made baby foods. I bought some special little trays from Babies R Us which come with labels and individual little cup things. I bought some sweet potatoes, apples, and I had a pumpkin from Halloween. I baked the pumpkin, and steamed the apples/sweet potatoes. All I did was puree them in my Bullet, and voila! Baby food. I did add some of the water from the steaming pot to the puree to make it slightly more runny. It's WAYYYYYY cheaper and much more healthy to do it yourself. I shop our local farmer's market for most of my produce, and it's so awesome to NOT have to rely on people like Gerber to make our baby's foods.
    Melissa
    Mommy to 3 babies
    Emily 8.11.05 My darling daughterEvan 6.28.07 the baddest, sweetest little guy I ever met
    Eliot 6.1.2010 coming soon and soon to be again!

I did not give you the gift of life, God gave me the gift of you.

Default Re: Starting solids, a few concerns

I did the same thing. I would spend a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon each week making all the food he needed for that week ( and sometimes beyond if I misjudged the amounts ). Easy peasy. And we never did rice cereal, except sometimes I would use organic rice cereal to thicken purees that needed it - pears for example are quite watery.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos