Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting solids, a few concerns

Default Starting solids, a few concerns

Hi! My husband and I are doing some research on baby foods and have a few concerns. Should we have any concern with the quality of the foods that are used to make baby food, particularly meats? (We are planning to start with rice, but are researching the other foods as well). We are just concerned for the health of our baby. We are curious if it would be more beneficial to make our own baby food. Any help or advice would be wonderful. We are trying to gather as much information as possible before starting anything.

Thank You

Default Re: Starting solids, a few concerns

If you make your own foods you know EXACTLY what's in them. You can do steamed veggies or soft pieces of banana, pretty much anything your baby can mush around his/her mouth that doesn't need chewing.
    Hi, I'm Faith, a Wife, Mom, Stepmom and SAHM
    I married my best friend Rodney on October 17, 2009
    DS1 Andy Born May 11, 2002
    DS2 Ethan Born May 18, 2009 Nursed 2 years 7 months & 2 days
    DSS1 Benjamin Born September 24, 1989

I made all my baby's purees until he started just eating soft table foods. I tried to get organic if I was going to leave the peel on (like applesauce), otherwise I just bought regular produce from the grocery store.

www.wholesomebabyfood.com is where I got most/all of my info and recipes.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I found it easiest to skip purees and start with whole foods like banana, avocado, or sweet potato and then eventually move up to feeding them whatever we were eating, with minor alterations as needed. That way I knew exactly what they were eating and it wasn't a lot of extra work. Here's a great article about the baby led solids approach if you're interested.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lilee View Post
    Should we have any concern with the quality of the foods that are used to make baby food, particularly meats?
    IME absolutely yes!

Info about fruits & veggies with the most / least pesticides HERE. Useful to think about what foods you may want to buy organic.

We skipped prepared baby foods and just fed our LO "real food". Started with things like sweet potato, avocado, butternut squash, and banana. Foods that are naturally soft but baby can still self-feed.

I never did baby cereals. When baby was ready went to eating rice and "regular" oatmeal (cooked with extra water to make softer, then cooled).
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thank you all for the advice. We started with rice, but he doesn't seem to like it too much. For past few days he turns his head away as though he isn't interested. Anything he does get down seems to get thrown back up. Should we take a break or keep offering?

how old is baby? Lots of breastfeed babies don't eat much of anyhting untill they are around 1

Another mom here that prefers to make her own baby food. Commercially prepared foods are typically highly processed -- contributes to childhood obesity and potentially creates picky toddlers that strongly prefer processed foods.

Not to say that my preschoolers don't prefer processed foods -- they'll take Kraft Mac and Cheese 3 times a day if they could!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lilee View Post
    Thank you all for the advice. We started with rice, but he doesn't seem to like it too much. For past few days he turns his head away as though he isn't interested. Anything he does get down seems to get thrown back up. Should we take a break or keep offering?
    Baby turning head away is how they are trying to tell you STOP they do NOT want to eat. Could be they don't like that food. Could be they are full. Could be not liking to be spoon fed.

Throwing up may be gag reflex and not really ready for solids. I'd take a break and try again in a week. Maybe try different foods.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

From what I have heard from friends and experienced with my 2 kids, babies do not like rice cereal much. Maybe try some banana mashed with breastmilk. I would suggest making all the veggies and fruits. I do except for prunes, applesauce, and sweet potato, those just seem easier to buy. We get the Earth's best brand, nothing added so it makes me feel good about it.
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.