Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Going back to work tomorrow, an emotional wreck, need encouragement

Default Going back to work tomorrow, an emotional wreck, need encouragement

So and am going back to work tomorrow and I'm an emotional wreck.

Everything within me wants to stay home with her but we are in a situation (hopefully temporary) that requires me to return to work.

The good news is that LO (four months old) will be cared for in our home by her grandma and aunt while I am working, and I can come home at lunch to feed her the normal way.

For her other feedings while I am gone I am pumping.

I go round and round between, broken hearted, angry, terrified, unconfident and nervous and can - do attitude ---- all with crying.

I could use any encourgement anyone is willing to offer.
    TW
    <Abigail 9/6/10>

Default Re: Going back to work tomorrow, an emotional wreck, need encouragement

awe you can do it...
    ITs ok to feal worried about it.

Oh mama. So many of us know exactly what you are going through right now. It's so hard. I think it's awesome that baby's grandma will be caring for her in your home! That is a huge blessing! Take it day by day mama or minute by minute even. But it will get easier in time. Just hang in there. And keep coming here for support. We will be here.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wilsonduo97 View Post

Everything within me wants to stay home with her but we are in a situation (hopefully temporary) that requires me to return to work.

The good news is that LO (four months old) will be cared for in our home by her grandma and aunt while I am working, and I can come home at lunch to feed her the normal way.

I go round and round between, broken hearted, angry, terrified, unconfident and nervous and can - do attitude ---- all with crying.

I completely, 100% understand. When I went back to work I would lean over my son's crib and sob. My situation is (hopefully!) temporary, like yours, and thats the hope that makes it better--that I'll be a SAHM soon! Also, my son stays with my husband during the day so its much better to know he's with his dad--I'm sure you understand! But I promise, promise that it DOES get easier. Its been 6 months (working for 4 full time now) and its easier. Not amazing, but I don't cry driving to work anymore.

How temporary is your situation? Could you work from home or?
    s:
    Exclusive , ,Christian mommy!
    Bloggin' Mommy

I returned to work last week. I'm in the same situation...my mother-in-law and sister-in-law are taking care of my LO two days a week (Monday and Friday) and my husband, who works from home as a full time graphic designer, is caring for him Tuesday-Thursday. I know I'm missing alot and with a 45 min commute each way, I'm missing even more. After picking up dinner on the way home last night, I didn't get home until 6:30PM and he was asleep by 8:30PM. I got only two hours with him. But you know what I do? I usually have to leave the house by 7AM to get to work on time. So, I wake up at 4:45AM, which is usually a feeding time for him and I feed him and spend a good uninterrupted 1.5 hours playing with him by myself while my husband sleeps. My LO (who is 10 weeks) is in a playful mood at that time and we have some really good alone time in those wee hours of the morning.

A woman I work with...her son is now 8. She had him in daycare from the time he was an infant and she's always talking about how beautiful their relationship is and how he adores her and he thinks she's a goddess (as most of us whose mothers were full-time moms have felt)....and it brings me comfort to know that despite her absence for much of his day...she's still his "Mama" and he still adores her just like I adored my mother. I was afraid my LO would not look at me that way or share that type of bond with me (as opposed to having that bond with his caregivers) but I feel assured that he will...especially since I initiated that bond by breastfeeding him (which I still do when I'm home).

We do what we have to do. Like you said, this is just temporary for you. That's great! I just happen to make more money than my husband so unfortunately for me, my situation is more permanent. But I know baby is well cared for and that helps.

I wish you peace of mind and plenty of hugs. You will get through this.

Aww it will be okay. Be very thankful you can come home at lunch to nurse. That made is so much easier for me not having to be away from my baby for more than 4 hours at a time. I still go home and she's 31 months. Although she doesn't always want to nurse at lunch anymore, except when she's trying to stall me from leaving she'll ask as I'm getting my coat on Ah toddlers
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I totally know this feeling. I don't feel like I have a choice about working either because of the lifestyle choices we've made -- and I remember being really angry about it. And I had some guilt too.

My little guy is a year now, and I still get sad each and every day that Ihave to leave him. He's with my DH and I STILL feel awful leaving. But it does get easier. It's not easy, but easier. I still have days when I get teared up when I leave. The first six weeks, i cried every.single.day. on my ride to work.

I don't have any real advice though. I really think it just takes time. And this is easier said than done, but really make yourself focus on the time that you do have with your LO rather than the time you're away. Look forward to your evenings. Look forward to your weekends. And just cherish that time that you have, try to live in the moment. I remember for a while on Sundays, I would be sad the whole day because I had to leave him again in the morning. But if you really just try and love the time - no matter how exhausted you are, how hard of a night you've had, how cranky your baby is, etc.... it REALLY helps.

Cosleep if it works for you. Don't focus on baby STTN. Be grateful for those extra moments!

(erm, so i guess i did have some advice)

But mostly just want to offer encouragement, and good luck.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

think of the positive...hes being taken care of by family (youre probably saving tons of money right there), you work near by and are able to see him during lunch every day, doing that helps you nurse for longer time in the long run...i felt exactly the way u did but try to think of work as a small break? if that makes any sense? i think it makes us appreciate the time we spend with our little lovies much more. You can do it

Mommy to Christopher James born 9/16/2010

I still hate going to work and my lo is 17 mos old, but it's just one day a week and she stays with DH. It still makes me sad to leave her.

Just take it one day at a time. I find leaving heart wrenching but once I'm actually busy at work and focused it is much better. I hope this is temporary and you and your husband can be creative with saving money and everything that needs to be done to keep you where you want.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.