Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pumping help!

Default pumping help!

Does anyone else with the Medela Freesyle have a lot of issues with it? I love the hands-free past about it, but other than that I think it stinks.

I constantly have to buy new parts because they lose suction and then I think my milk supply has gone away. I really think that a few times, my supply has gone down due to the pump not working properly.

Any advice on how to get it to work better? Anyone else had these issues?

Default Re: pumping help!

I hated the freestyle. It is awkward and and was not able to get much milk from it even during the time I was having oversupply issues.

I ended up called Medela, telling them I hated it, and they had me send my used one to them, and sent me a new one so I could return it to the store from which I purchased it.
    TW
    <Abigail 9/6/10>

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hprmama View Post
    Does anyone else with the Medela Freesyle have a lot of issues with it? I love the hands-free past about it, but other than that I think it stinks.

I constantly have to buy new parts because they lose suction and then I think my milk supply has gone away. I really think that a few times, my supply has gone down due to the pump not working properly.

Any advice on how to get it to work better? Anyone else had these issues?
    I don't use the Freestyle...I use the Medela Pump In Style Advanced and love it. I've seen so many people have trouble with the Freestyle. Ironic since I think it was the more expensive of the two models. Anyway, I have seen people post in here about how they contacted Medela and complained and Medela sent them a new unit in the box so it could be returned to the store and exchanged for another model. If you don't resolve the problems you're having...consider contact Medela to find a resolution.

thanks! I didn't know others had issues with it. The only other working/pumping mom I know loves it, so I thought it was just me. I think I may call them. I have before and they have been helpful in sending new parts -but it hasn't helped the overall issue that I'm having, which I think basically is that the pump stinks!

I had an old PISA that I had to return to a friend, and bought the freestyle thinking it would be better. I just never responded to it as well. Thankfully a DIFFERENT friend was able to lend me her PISA around that time. I kept the FS though for travel and for when I'm out (like once for an outdoor concert). Luckily I was able to find a new PISA for $210 recently since I had to give that second one back as well.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I have the freestyle too. So far, it stinks. I don't really have a need to pump yet as I won't be going back to work until May, but I tried using it and doesn't seem to "suction" well.

I called Medela yst and they send me a "spare parts kit" saying it could be that. I haven't had time to try it yet today, but will this evening once the hubby is home from work. Will post again to let you know if that works.

If it doesn't, I am going to think about the Pump in Style. I have not heard one complaint about that pump yet (online or from friends).

I do want to add that my coworker's wife has the FS and loves it.. so I dunno.
    Perhaps we got a defected one... will post once I try with the new parts...

Hi

Tried the spare parts they sent. There seems to be something weird still. Some weird sound now. Will need to call medela back tmr.

One thing to note,,, are you pumping on battery or on the AC? Unless necessary, use the AC instead of the battery... seems like suction is better on AC.

Hmmm ... I used a Freestyle for over a year of pumping and it worked great for me.

I did NOT like the "soft fit" shields that it came with and used the hard (rigid plastic) breast shields like come with the PISA.

Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Ditto on the soft fit shields; rubbed a raw spot on one of the girls.

Mine sounds like it's mooing, so not only do I FEEL like a cow, I SOUND like a cow
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I love my Freestyle! I have only been using it 2 mos but so far so good. I have had suction problems but I just took it apart & put it back together and it worked fine. Also the parts have to be completely dry.