Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tired of pumping at work. What can I do?

Lightbulb Tired of pumping at work. What can I do?

Hi Ladies!

I am new to this and a first time mom of baby Aubrey, 11 months. Aubrey will be 1 year old in August and I plan on continuing to breast feed as long as she wants to. What I want to know is there anyway that we can continue to breastfeed and reduce or eliminate pumping at work. I work 10 hours 4 days a week and am with DD 3 of those days. 2 of the 4 I am home for bed time. From what I have read they say that she is less and less dependent on breast milk as she grows, but I want to reap the benefits of nursing her into her toddler years.

I do not want to supplement with milk, as I am lactose intolerant and so is my DH. I am afraid she may also not deal well with milk. Is it ok to give her Almond or Soy milk while she is at the babysitters? Should I suck it up and deal with pumping 3x while I am at work? The other issue here is that my job has been very supportive of my being gone to pump every 3 hours or so and I don't want to burn my bridges asking to do this for the next 3 years.

For now I am just looking to plan for the near future and we have had a great time BF with no real problems short of a plugged duct here and there Any ideas would be most helpful. Thank you so much in advance for any suggestions.

Default Re: Tired of pumping at work. What can I do?

Once you hit a year old you should be able to stop pumping no problem. Your supply is very well-established by that time so it will be there when you need it, even on days that you don't work. Many moms here stop pumping at a year and continue to nurse well into toddlerhood.

As long as you are still nursing 3-4 times a day you don't need to use any kind of replacement milk, though you can if you want to. When I stopped pumping my daughters caregivers tried to give her cow's milk, but she never would drink it (she is 5 now and still won't drink it). She just had solids and water, occasionally some watered down juice, when she was at school and then nursed when we got home.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thank you so much that takes a load off my mind Someone at work said something the other day questioning how long I plan on doing this for. Plus, as most would agree with, I just HATE pumping. Love BF though.
    Mama to Aubrey Rose born 8/2/2011

The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.
    Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*meghan.cocuzza View Post
    Plus, as most would agree with, I just HATE pumping. Love BF though.
    100%!

Also completely with PP. I just wanted to add that you should consider backing off the pump gradually. I dropped one session at a time keeping the remaining sessions evenly spaced through the day. I would give it several days before dropping the next session. I tend to get pluggy, and gradual pump weaning is the best way to avoid that.

You're almost there! Congratulations on pumping for so long.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Thanks that is a really good idea! I will plan on cutting out a session a day then Ya'll are awesome! I was so afraid I would be doomed to pump forever
    Mama to Aubrey Rose born 8/2/2011

The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.
    Michelangelo