Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to breastfeeding.

Default New to breastfeeding.

I am being induced on Friday and I haven't leaked or anything to indicate I will be able to breatfeed or produce milk. Is this normal?

Default Re: New to breastfeeding.

Congrats on your soon to be born baby!

Yes it's normal! There's no baby yet, so there's no reason to be producing milk yet. Some people leak colostrum during pregnancy but not everyone. It has absolutely no bearing on how much milk you will produce once your baby is born.

Don't stress! You will be able to produce milk for your baby.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Welcome!

Not to worry- there are moms who leak a ton and moms who never leak a drop, and both types are successful at breastfeeding. It's really nothing to worry about.

Would you consider sharing the reason you're being induced? The reason I ask is that our birth choices often impact our breastfeeding success, and maybe someone here will have some insight on what path you want to take with respect to your baby's birth.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I am being induced a week early because my baby is getting close to 9# and the Dr. is affraid he is getting to big. I really wand to breastfeed and am so affraid I won't be able to. Thanks for the info

I was induced in a sense, water broke but no contractions, and we are doing good nursing. The only prob with me being induced is that it took longer for my milk to come it (5 DAYS) I also never leaked anything, still don't If you really want to do it, you will be able to. It is hard, but sooo worth it! And we'll be here for ya

Thanks for all the help. How important do you think it is to attend meetings as there is non really close to me?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bcanada06 View Post
    I am being induced a week early because my baby is getting close to 9# and the Dr. is affraid he is getting to big. I really wand to breastfeed and am so affraid I won't be able to. Thanks for the info
    Thanks for answering my nosy question!

Okay, I know you are SO CLOSE to holding your baby in your arms, and eager to meet him, and you are probably at a point where you feel you need and want to trust your doctor to help you make good birth choices. Which is why I feel bad saying the following: I would absolutely not induce at 39 weeks for a suspected large baby. Here's why:
    1. Fetal size is difficult to predict, with estimates being off by an average of around 1-2 lbs. That 9 lb baby could easily be a 7 lb baby.
    2. Induced births are generally more painful and complicated than spontaneous births, and are more likely to result in c-section than spontaneous births.
    3. Induction of labor for a suspected large baby does not improve outcomes for either mother or baby.
    4. 9 lbs is not too big to birth, particularly if mom is allowed to adopt pelvis-expanding upright positions. (These positions are often not possible during induction, since mom is usually confined to bed.)
    5. 39 weeks is term- but what if 39 weeks isn't actually 39 weeks? A lot of moms have their dates off by a week or more, and that can make a huge difference in terms of the baby's maturity.

If you don't believe me, I suggest checking out this technical but still quite readable article: Management of Suspected Fetal Macrosomia, Zamorski and Biggs, American Family Physician 2001, and also posting down in the Pregnancy and Birth Options part of the forum, and seeing what the knowledgeable ladies there have to say.

Some more resources to check out:
    Am I ready for induction?- quiz from Childbirth.org
    As early elective births increase so do health risks for mother, child
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Congratulations on your upcoming delivery! I know you're excited.

I was induced because I had a severe case of PUPPS that was doing nothing but getting worse (even with oral steroids). I didn't sleep for 2 weeks before Claire was born because I itched so bad! Horrible memories..haha. Anyway, I did leak colostrum while I was pregnant but not a lot. Being induced had no affect on my milk coming in. My baby had a near perfect latch from the beginning (thank the LORD!), and my milk came in about 3 days after her birth.

From everything I've read, not leaking colostrum while pregnant has absolutely nothing to do with whether you'll be able to BF. Some women just don't start early! ( :

I never leaked with either of my pregnancies, it's perfectly normal. As for meetings, they are helpful and encouraging, but if it's difficult to get to them you can get a lot of support and advice here as well! That's one of the great things about this forum, it's sort of like a 24-7 LLL meeting.

I also encourage you to look through some of the info mommal posted about inductions/big babies. You may have read it all before and come to this decision for yourself feeling the benefits outweigh the risks and if so, I totally respect that decision, but just in case you haven't I definitely recommend at least making yourself knowledgeable about the potential problems. Doctors won't always give you all the relevant information to make a decision. They tend to present induction as a risk-free procedure, but the truth is that there are risks and as a patient it is your right to know what they are before making your decision.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

you can do it...

links for getting of to a good start
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBearlyweeks.html