Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think I'm offering too often

Default I think I'm offering too often

I EBF DD1 to 17 months. DD2 will be 5 months old in 5 days. So you'd think that I'd know better....

I think I'm offering the breast too often to DD2. She's only nursing for 5 - 8 minutes at a time and is fussy in between. She's getting very gassy due to the pulling on and off (I'm figuring because she's not really hungry in the first place). If DH is with her, she'll hold off from really asking for 2 - 3 hours without any issue. If I've got her, I'm offering every 40 minutes or so.

It's causing me a bit of a hard time. I have no down time. I'm getting a little touched out. I love being home with my girls but I'm getting a little resentful and crabby.

I guess I'm going to have to figure out how to be more entertaining for DD2 that doesn't include nursing.

Thanks, I needed to get that off my chest.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Default Re: I think I'm offering too often

Are you offering because she's fussy?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

You can't overfeed a breastfed baby. If nothing else she will comfort nurse. DS3 is 18 months and he would nurse 24/7...worse than a newborn. And he has to sit in his special nursing place.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

Yeah, it's hard for me to imagine "offering too much" to a breastfed baby. Every time Joe made a peep, I shoved a boob in his face. If he didn't want it, fine, but it was my go-to response to all signs of fussiness, and mostly, it worked!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I don't think she's over eating. I think she's just sort of taking it, pulling off, etc. because it's there. More in play than actually wanting to eat. I believe that is what's making her more gassy; this girl can toot like no tomorrow these days! And the evenings she gets quite a painful tummy

I think she's just at a point now where fussing can mean more than just nursing. She may want to play, be entertained, need a change of venue, etc. Nursing just so happens to be more convenient when you're trying to entertain a 2 year old at the same time.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

and

Put her back to the same breast for a set number of hours (say 2-3 hours) and nurse as many times as she wants (or you want ) on that same breast. That will help make sure she is getting more hindmilk and should help with the gas.

Don't worry Mama you can't nurse them too much. That's the best thing about breastfeeding. It is a "fix all" for everything...bored=nurse; tired=nurse; hurt=nurse; hungry=nurse and so on.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

At 5 months old and mama feeling touched out I think you will be fine to start trying other methods to soothe her. Don't be surprised if she won't accept them from you but it won't hurt to try.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    I think she's just at a point now where fussing can mean more than just nursing. She may want to play, be entertained, need a change of venue, etc. Nursing just so happens to be more convenient when you're trying to entertain a 2 year old at the same time.
    so true btdt. but ime the little kid will not be soothed by the boob for long if they want something else. DD ever was and you should see her now she just goes and vigorous shaking of head (sometimes whole body)
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    At 5 months old and mama feeling touched out I think you will be fine to start trying other methods to soothe her. Don't be surprised if she won't accept them from you but it won't hurt to try.

Do you ever wear her? With my first, 5-6 months was the "Don't put me down- EVER" stage. As long as she was up in the Bjorn, she was happy. If I put her down, the wailing started.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post

Do you ever wear her? With my first, 5-6 months was the "Don't put me down- EVER" stage. As long as she was up in the Bjorn, she was happy. If I put her down, the wailing started.
    Have you got a webcam in my house??

I do need to wear her more. I also need to get OUT more. I think the fresh air and the distraction will be better for us both.
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Weaned @ 15 months

and