Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning (switching to formula) due to pregnancy

Default Weaning (switching to formula) due to pregnancy

Hi there. I wasn't quite sure which forum to post this on. So I am going to post it on this one and the pregnancy one. But I am about 7 weeks pregnant. I have been waiting to see when my milk supply would drop. And I think it has the last couple of days. He has been having fewer and fewer wet diapers and has been fussy almost all day and nothing really satisfies him. Yesterday he didn't have a wet diaper from about 9am ... and then not until 5pm or so. So I fed him formula for the first time. And almost immediately he was soooo happy! His disposition changed drastically.

So now I am trying to figure out what I need to know about weaning... well, just stopping breastfeeding and switching to formula. (My son is 11 months a a week or two already... so I only need to do the formula thing for a few weeks, so that's nice).

How long should I take to switch him? A friend of mine got pregnant when her son was 8 months and she said she was able to wean in a day and a half. That's nice! Is it that fast? Or does it vary? Not sure what I need to know.

Thanks!
    Children are a blessing from the Lord.
    Wife to my sweety & Mother to my son (Born January 2010)

I started to motherhood when my son first smiled at me, is my preferred method of transporting my son, was overwhelming at first but now enjoyable, and cloth diapering his & are my newest adventures!

Default Re: Weaning (switching to formula) due to pregnancy

I don't have any weaning advice but I got pregnant with my DD when my DS was only 10 months old. He never weaned. He was a huge comfort nurser and didn't care that the milk was gone

Personally if it were me, I'd try whole milk since he so close to a year anyway and just up his solids intake. How does he do on solids right now? If you really want to do the weaning formula route then I would just offer the breast maybe every other time just to keep from getting engorged or causing any problems. How long it will take just depends on how much of your supply has already dipped. I still had milk when I was 6 or 7 months pregnant, some women dry up in their first trimester. Good luck with everything

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Thanks! He isn't a comfort nurser, I've always nursed him on a schedule. So I think that may be why. But he has lots of allergies. He is allergic to milk. My mother in law is a registered nurtritionist and she said not to introduce the pure soy milk too early, she says that if you do it can cause stomach bleeding (or something to that affect).

He is okay on solids, but not great, lots of allergies, so I am going to an allergist this week to learn more about that.
    Children are a blessing from the Lord.
    Wife to my sweety & Mother to my son (Born January 2010)

I started to motherhood when my son first smiled at me, is my preferred method of transporting my son, was overwhelming at first but now enjoyable, and cloth diapering his & are my newest adventures!

Definitely talk to the allergist about it. If he really does have a lot of allergies he will be on the formula for quite a while.

There's no set time frame for weaning. Since it's not something that is being imposed on you, you can take it slow and be flexible about it depending on baby's needs. But make sure you stay on the elimination diet the entire time he is getting breastmilk.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous