Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: pumping for outings?

Default Re: pumping for outings?

well nature didnt' make that point, the point of bottle feeding is what is easier for mom, not what keeps up a good supply and at this young of age, maintaining supply is critical.

So if you really want to be picky I *guess* 45 mins may not make a difference, but why risk it , we all know what happens and 45 mins ends up being 2 hours or baby is hungry again 1 hour later so she nurses baby and ends up missing the session (at that age babies often nurse that frequently), etc.

Make sense?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*desertchildaz View Post
    That seem to defeat the point, from what I understand. Can someone explain why she has to pump at that very moment? Can't she feed the bottle to the baby during service and then pump immediately after service? We're talking 45minutes to an hour later, right?
    That is exactly why I said it would be better to just nurse rather than try to pump and bottle feed at this point. You don't necessarily have to pump at the exact moment baby is being fed, but at 2 weeks most babies are eating every hour or two so waiting 45 minutes would be missing a feeding. Or it would have been with both my kiddos that early on. Plus it is so much extra work.

To the OP, that sort of issue will resolve pretty quickly for most nursing pairs. Your let down will calm down a bit and you and baby will both get better at latching on quickly. Keep trying and keep practicing. Try watching yourself nurse in the mirror and you may be surprised at how little shows. You can also pinpoint what is showing and how to cover it up. For me the issue was with my post-pregnancy belly hanging out all over the place. I found that wearing 2 shirts was a huge help. Either a tank top or camisole under all my shirts or a tshirt with a button up over it. Anything that lets you lift one shirt while pulling the other down to minimize exposure.
    Last edited by @llli*norasmommy; January 4th, 2011 at 03:09 PM.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Two weeks is still really young to be skipping feedings. It could affect like your supply like PP have said. I would focus on practicing nursing in public in front of a mirror or in front of your family to see if that much is exposed! You can also bring along an extra shirt if your afraid of milk going everywhere.another thing I've noticed is it's ME who was freaked out about nursing in public and other people didn't even notice.

Good luck. Avoid that pump if possible. When you get back to work you'll be attached to that thing for long enough!

Thanks for all the advice! I really don't think pumping occasionally right now will cause any problems. Sunday morning I fed her then a little while later pumped. When I gave her the bottle in church it was her "normal" feeding time, and later when she was hungry again I BF her and had plenty of milk. ( :

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2claire View Post
    Thanks for all the advice! I really don't think pumping occasionally right now will cause any problems. Sunday morning I fed her then a little while later pumped. When I gave her the bottle in church it was her "normal" feeding time, and later when she was hungry again I BF her and had plenty of milk. ( :
    then why even ask
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    then why even ask

I don't think she did ask....her question had to do with how long the breastmilk would be fresh and morphed into this discussion when others questioned her giving the baby a bottle.

then why even ask
    Well, if you go back to my original post, I was asking on how to store ans carry expressed milk when we go out, not whether I should be doing that yet. ( :

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*desertchildaz View Post
    I don't think she did ask....her question had to do with how long the breastmilk would be fresh and morphed into this discussion when others questioned her giving the baby a bottle.
    I guess that in #7 it seems that she was talking about bottle feeding while out and IMO she wouldnt drag the pump with her to pump in the WalMart dressing room or at least wasnt discussing it, so.....
    Last edited by @llli*Jenna562; January 4th, 2011 at 04:24 PM.
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

I guess that in #7 it seems that she was talking about bottle feeding while out and IME she wouldnt drag the pump with her to pump in the WalMart dressing room or at least wasnt discussing it, so.....
    Sorry, what is "IME"? I'm not understanding your comment.

AGH! sorry IMO, I corrected it
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language