Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pediatrician wants to force solids

Default Pediatrician wants to force solids

I just got back from our 1 year check up with DD's pediatrician. He freaked out on me about being so conservative about introducing solid foods. So far DD has some experience playing with (but not really eating): bananas, chewing on a whole apple and shredding little bits of lettuce.

Her iron levels are great. Her weight is great. She is walking and saying her first words. She breastfeeds day and night. We are both happy with the arrangement. We offer food to to her once a day but she doesn't really want it. It is more like playtime. My husband tried to offer her a spoonful of banana and she refused to be fed so we don't force it. We are much more comfortable allowing her to discover food at her pace and work out getting it into her own mouth.

My pediatrician's concern is that she needs more practice swallowing and that he wants me to start HEAVILY introducing more food. He wants to see her eating more food within the month and has scheduled a followup appointment to monitor our progress.

This feels wrong to me, but this is my first kid and I'm still unsure of putting her at risk for malnourishment. We are gradually increasing the variety of foods and I'm making it a point to let her explore food at least once a day. But our pediatrician was alarmed and is putting us through food bootcamp.

So ladies ... I would appreciate your honesty. I am about 50/50 on my pediatrician's advice and want to find a new one as it is. But in the meantime if anyone has any input on this situation your information is most welcome.

Thanks for your help!

Default Re: Pediatrician wants to force solids

Hmmm. How many foods has your DD has the chance to explore? You cannot/should not force a child to eat. But giving them the change to play with a lot of textures, flavours, etc is good for them imo. What is/are your reason(s) for delaying introduction of other foods?
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

I would offer more often and more variety. It's great that her iron levels are good now, but after a year babies do need solid foods to complement nursing. My 14 month old is only just starting to eat more solids and he's not a big eater, but we do offer 3 times a day at least. Of course you shouldn't force her, but I would put food in front of her everytime you eat a meal.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

dr sears has some good info on his web site about feeding families.

maybe keeping track of everything toddler is eating for the next month you'll see that she is eating more then you told the doctor.

http://www.askdrsears.com/

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T040100.asp

you want to fead the most healthly foods, and not just junk cause the doctor says she has to be eating more.
    ARe there weight gain problems?

I was really tentative about introducing foods to DD1 too. The kick in the pants for me was when I had her at a play date with other babies the same age. She was all over the other Mom's, wanting to see and try the food that they had for their babies and the other little ones were gobbling up. Foods that I hadn't even considered (raw cucumber) and she was loving it!

It really helped my comfort levels.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

I would say just continue to offer foods, especially when you are eating as she may want to copy you. You are bound to find something she likes. Good luck!
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*samiha View Post
    I would offer more often and more variety. It's great that her iron levels are good now, but after a year babies do need solid foods to complement nursing. My 14 month old is only just starting to eat more solids and he's not a big eater, but we do offer 3 times a day at least. Of course you shouldn't force her, but I would put food in front of her everytime you eat a meal.
    I agree with this completely. I am the FIRST person to tell you not to push solids and that they are only for fun and exploration for the first year. But if you don't actually DO IT then when you get to the point when you need them to eat you are behind. I did babyled solids and my son was eating three meals a day and two snacks by a year. It wasn't a large amount of food. But he chewed and swallowed and by a year was clear on the ritual involved in meal times. You need to be able to fill nursing gaps that are going to occur in the next 6months with healthy solid food.
    And the thing is it TAKES about 6 months of playing and experimenting to get into a comfortable space where you have a bunch of food to offer because in the beginning you have to wait in between food to see if your child is having a reaction to anything. So I would get on it and not be casual about it. Not because your child can't survive on your breastmilk. But because introducing healthy solid food and teaching your child how to make helathy food choices is a huge important piece of your job as a parent and it does not just happen. YOU also need to practice. Practice Shopping the perimeter. Practice label reading, practice coming up with different foods to keep your child interested. Figuring out what percentage you want to feed raw vs cooked. How do you feel about dairy? Good for your child? Or not so much? Do you need it if you are still breastfeeding? How much meat? All meat or just white? What about organics? It's a big and often intimidating subject. But the only way to get through it is to get started.

Way too lazy for formula

I'm with the LLLadies- at a year old, offering more often is a good idea. But I totally wouldn't stress if your daughter plays with the solids, tastes, them, but doesn't actually eat much, because clearly BFing is meeting her nutritional needs right now. My pediatrician always says that until a year, breastfeeding meets a child's nutritional needs and solids are just for fun, and for experimenting with new tastes, textures, and motor skills. After a year, solids become an increasingly important part of a baby's diet, but the transition to a majority-solids diet is often a slow one, with many babies not eating much solid food until well into their second year. It's not like a baby goes to sleep on day 364 needing only milk and wakes up on day 365 needing 3 square solid meals a day!

So, IMHO: offer more often, have baby take part in your mealtimes, but no food "boot camp"! If she eats more solids, great. If she tastes them but doesn't swallow, still great: at least she tried. If she won't open her mouth and prefers to mush the solids around with her hands, still great: she had a fun learning experience that prepared her for more fun to come.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

One thing I noticed with my son (who is only 9 1/2 months old) is trying a wide variety of tastes. i don't know how much your baby puts in her mouth but I started doing things like dipping a carrot in things like homemade hummus or guacamole. He has no teeth so he would gum the carrot but he loved the savory tastes so much better than things like bananas. Untill I found out my son liked hummus, I thought he just wasn't into eating but really he wasn't into eating what I had offered so far. This has helped me to find more foods my son wants to eat. I am still moving way slower than I probably should but I am trying to "catch up" a bit.
    Married 9/17/2005
    Mother to Seamus born 3/9/2010 7lbs 9oz Still nursing with no end in sight!
    I love , , cloth diapers! with #2! Due 4/5/2012. for a Vbac!

How is she at picking up small pieces of food? A lot of babies that age really enjoy being able to feed themselves things like cheerios or pieces of cooked vegetables (my kids looooved frozen peas).

I'd agree that this is a good time to be putting lots of different foods in front of her. I also think it's a good idea that you're letting her have control over how much she eats. Both of those things help create a foundation for good eating habits.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--