Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I really so outrageous?

Default Am I really so outrageous?

Survived family Christmas - woo hoo! Now I remember why I left my home to live on the other side of the world! And now I have an idea of what so many of you go through every day, surrounded by unsupportive people. Is it really so outrageous to BF a baby beyond 6 months? I don't get it. My family made me feel like a freak every time I nursed DS (20 mth) in front of them. All of them at some point during my stay told me there is no benefit to nursing beyond 6 months and my sister and sis-in-law (both childless) had a long conversation right in front of me about how it is totally impossible to pump and work so there is no point even trying When I pointed out that I've been doing just that for several years, I was sneered at because I 'only work part time'. Yeah right. I get up at 5am with the toddler and most days I've done a full day's work cooking and cleaning and chasing after 2 very active boys before even leaving for my other work outside the home. Grrr. Anyway, my heartfelt congratulations to those of you who continue to nurse despite the people around you. I'm immensely grateful to live in a place where BFing is the accepted and expected norm. And boy am I glad to be home!
    Emma

J from Aug '06 to Nov '08 and S from April 2009

Default Re: Am I really so outrageous?

Maybe you could find some links to studies showing the benefits of pumping and extended BFing and then post them in an email to your family. Include a gentle but firm note about how you do not expect them to agree with all your decisions re: your children but you ask that they at least respect your right to make them. Maybe you can silence them forever on the topic.
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

wow,Emma!where do you live?
    I want to move there too!!
    in my country (Italy) BFing after 1YO is not the norm!
    and I always get comments..DS is nearly 20 mos.
    in a while I'm going to visit my ILs that FFed their 3 children and think cosleeping is totally wierd!hope I will be able to deal with it like you did!!!
    I'm Lisa,SAHM to M. 5/14/09 my velcro boy!

we made it to 19 mos!!! no end in sight
    always and (I'd like to have a just LO and mom cosleeping smilie...)
    food sensitivity to dairy,apple and orange
    we just started to put cloth on
    if I'm here I'm
    love this forum!!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*purplemonkey View Post
    I'm immensely grateful to live in a place where BFing is the accepted and expected norm. And boy am I glad to be home!
    I can only hope and pray that some day this will happen here.
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

Thanks everyone!

Andrea, believe me I've tried. Unfortunately my mom was a midwife and pediatric nurse (of the very clinical variety) and her opinions (from the 1960s) are set in stone.

Lisa, good luck with your trip!

BTW I live in Portland, Oregon. Quote from this website http://blisstree.com/live/fit-pregna...o-have-a-baby/

Portland ranked fourth overall but had the distinction of being first for breastfeeding:

Portland moms come in at number one for nursing their babies: Fully 89 percent initiate breastfeeding, and six months later 57 percent are still at it. Not surprisingly, we found more breastfeeding-support stores and lactation consultants per live birth than virtually anywhere else.

Still depressing that even in the best state only 57% nurse beyond 6 months.
    Emma

J from Aug '06 to Nov '08 and S from April 2009

Still depressing that even in the best state only 57% nurse beyond 6 months

yup....

I used to go around with my mil all the time about how we parented.
    Hubby finaly told her off.
    My mom used to tell her mil when your kids are all perfect then you can tell me what to do.
    she also told one of her sil this and started family fued. But that was ok she said her peace and not in a mean way

How could the human race have survived if no one nursed beyond 6 months? That's what boggles my mind when people actually say and believe this stuff!
    I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and

I don't know...I asked my mom whether my grandmother breastfed her and her brothers and she said nope...cows milk with corn syrup.....I thought that was weird but apparently quite normal around her when she was a babe. Anyways my mom supports me in breastfeeding and actually admires me for pumping and breastfeed past 6 months. I my mom.
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school

I don't understand why people have to critisize something very normal and natural. It just makes no sense. I don't sit around and complain about someone giving their baby formula. Whatever happened to just keeping quiet unless you have something good to say. Raising kids is hard no matter how you do it and we all make choices and have to stand up for those choices.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*purplemonkey View Post
    Andrea, believe me I've tried. Unfortunately my mom was a midwife and pediatric nurse (of the very clinical variety) and her opinions (from the 1960s) are set in stone.
    Well, I guess you do have your work cut out for you! Maybe the next time the topic comes up, just leave the room abruptly or do something really bizarre like smell your armpits. Act crazy when they talk about it.

That's great Portland is so BFing-friendly! I live halfway around the world in the Middle East and I've never experienced negativity here about BFing. No one has ever said anything to me about it. I've been very lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*marilyn612 View Post
    I don't know...I asked my mom whether my grandmother breastfed her and her brothers and she said nope...cows milk with corn syrup.....I thought that was weird but apparently quite normal around her when she was a babe. Anyways my mom supports me in breastfeeding and actually admires me for pumping and breastfeed past 6 months. I my mom.
    Amazing how times have changed! Could you imagine anyone suggesting this now with everything we know about corn syrup?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*decbaby View Post
    I don't understand why people have to critisize something very normal and natural. It just makes no sense. I don't sit around and complain about someone giving their baby formula. Whatever happened to just keeping quiet unless you have something good to say. Raising kids is hard no matter how you do it and we all make choices and have to stand up for those choices.
    Well put!
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky