Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 month old lost weight

Default 3 month old lost weight

I only nursed my DD for 6 weeks (now a healthy 5 yr old) and always felt a little guilty. So, I was really excited when nursing started out well with my 14 week old son. However, he is now losing weight and the Dr. wants to see him this week and possibly have us supplement or switch to formula if he continues to lose or does not gain.

His weight has always been kind of sporadic. He was:

Birth - 9 lbs 15 oz
    Discharge (5 days) - 9 lbs 10 oz
    7 days - 10 lbs
    4 weeks - 14 lbs (Dr weighs with clothes on)
    8 weeks - 15 lbs 2 oz
    9 weeks - 15 lbs 2 oz (sick for 8 week so return at 9 for shots)
    12 weeks - 15 lbs 14 oz
    13 weeks - 14 lbs 12 oz

I nursed exclusively for the first 6 weeks, then added 1 or 2 bottles of BM a day to get him ready for me to return to work. At 9 weeks, I returned to work PT (3 days a week) and return FT in 3 weeks. When I am at work (8.5 hours away from baby) he takes about 16 ounces of BM in a bottle (4 - 6 ounces at a time), but I am only able to pump about 8 ounces total (3 sessions). I also get up an hour before him and pump about 7 ouncees, and pump between feedings on my days off, but never get more than an ounce or 2 at those times. He had been doing well, seemed content after feedings, and was sleeping well. In the last few weeks, he hasn't seemed as content, and a few times, I have had to give him 3 or so ounces of BM in a bottle after nursing for 30 - 40 mins because he is still very hungry. He has at least 6 wet diapers a day and stools every 1 - 2 days. On my days off, I nurse exclusively, and he eats every 2 - 3 hours (at least 7 - 8 times a day).

Before I was pregnant, I had hypothyroidism, which was controlled with medication. About 2 weeks ago, blood work showed it had changed to slightly hyper. My dose has been adjusted to try to regulate again (same thing happened with first child - took about 6 months to get it within range again).

Not sure what is going on, but I really wanted to make sure DS got BM exclusively for longer than 3 months! He has had formula occassionally (when my husband has him out and forgets to bring a bottle of BM - less than 1x/week), and I don't really want to increase that right now. I would love to stay home with him so I can nurse exclusively and (hopefully) increase my supply with rest and frequent feedings, but that is not possible. Any suggestions would be great - I am exhausted from nursing, pumping, and working!

Default Re: 3 month old lost weight

Bump

Sorry no-one's responded to your post, Mama. How are things going now?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: 3 month old lost weight

This is so hard. Congratulations to you for your dedication in getting your baby your milk. That is so important and such a wonderful thing.

4-6 oz of breastmilk per feeding for a 14-week-old is a lot.

But your question is about weight loss. A baby getting that much milk while you're away and is still losing weight -- I would consider that perhaps there are other problems, not milk supply.

I would suggest that you consult with your pediatrician about other problems besides not getting enough milk that might be contributing to the weight loss. It's just quite a bit of milk per feeding for a baby that's, what, four months? Was it a different scale? Was your baby sick again? Spitting up a lot? Really wet diaper during one weighing but not the other??

I would also suggest that you consult with at least a LLL leader and perhaps a lactation consultant before deciding to supplement with artificial milk.

And if you do end up using formula, remember that every ounce you give your baby of your milk is still a wonderful gift. Lots of moms combine breastfeeding with formula feeding.

Good luck!!