Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: ?bedtime?

Default ?bedtime?

OK, this is new. Mollie is almost 15mo and still nursing with no problem - every 2-3 hrs during the night, once in AM, once in afternoon, and at bedtime, which brings me to my problem. Mollie has always been a night owl and would sleep as late as you let her, but suddenly now she has no bedtime at all! I take her into our room (we cosleep) and start nursing her to sleep at around 930pm. IF she goes on to sleep, if I get up, she wakes within 30 minutes. For the last couple of weeks, she has nursed at bedtime and then "refused" to go to sleep (translated - I got tired of wrestling her and got up with her). Our average "go to sleep time" has been around 11pm-12am. This is worse than nursing a newborn - at least then I could catnap with her. Now there isn't little sleep, it's no sleep.
    The whole house has been sick off and on for the last 6 weeks, so maybe that has screwed up our loose little schedule, and I suppose my giving in hasn't helped anything. Mollie naps at daycare from 11am - 1 or 2pm and again at home from 530pm-6pm (I even tried taking this late afternoon nap away and just turned her into a hag!!).
    You'd think on the 3rd go around I'd have this figured out - my boys did the sleep thing really well, so I am unequipped for this.
    Lori -
    wife to Davis, my best friend and strongest supporter
    43 yo mom to 3

Lee Allen Christopher - 18 - precious preemie , all grown up; BF 6 wks
    Connor Ethan - 13 - my red head , ALL boy, ALL the time; BF 14 mo
    Mollie Rhiannon - 4 - my surprise , more fun than I ever expected; BFing, no end in sight!!

Default Re: ?bedtime?

I really would get rid of that late nap. And see if the daycare could start not letting her sleep for more than 2 hours if that doesn't fix it.

It seems like Lilah has needed 5 or 6 hours between sleep times for a while now... and that started somewhere around 14ish months. I know they're cranky when they lose a nap, but if I were you, I would rather put up with a cranky pants for a week or so than being up until midnight every night.

Do you think she's got some teeth coming in bothering her? Or about to have a verbal explosion or something? Lilah's sleep went to crap right around 15 months (or worse than it already was, anyway) and she started talking up a storm not much later. And then her sleep seemed to return to it's normal state.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Thanks so much - I think I will talk to daycare tomorrow and see if Mollie can sleep til she wakes, however long that is.

Mollie is a "chatty cathy" anyway - she has a large vocabulary, much larger than her brothers at that age, that I attribute to the fact that there are 4 people in the house talking to her constantly.

She is getting a little "mouthy" lately - wanting everything in her mouth, even taking my hand and putting it in her mouth to bite .

Again I appreciate your quick response and ideas - I have GOT to get a handle on this no sleep thing...it's making me grouchy
    Lori -
    43 yo mom to 3

Mollie Rhiannon - 4 - my surprise , more fun than I ever expected; BFing, no end in sight!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    I really would get rid of that late nap. And see if the daycare could start not letting her sleep for more than 2 hours if that doesn't fix it.
    Wow, your baby's bedtime sounds even worse than my baby's bedtimes, and that is SAYING SOMETHING!

As a parent of a fellow sleep-resister, I 100% agree - it may not seem like this, but you are far better off with just one nap, and a cranky toddler in the evenings, than two naps and a kid who stays up till midnight. Joe's schedule is basically this:

7 a.m. to noon - awake.
    Noon to 1:30 or 2 - nap.
    2 p.m. to 7 p.m. - awake.
    7:30 to 8:30 - bedtime routine, bath, pjs, books, nursing.

HOPEFULLY, he is asleep by 8:30 to 9 p.m.

It's far from perfect, but I have noticed that if Joe naps anytime after 3 p.m., the whole thing is completely shot and he will NOT. GO. TO. BED. He'd stay up till 2 a.m. if you let him, or maybe even longer!

When Joe went from two naps to one, I was disappointed and upset, because I thought he was too young (he was about 10 mo. old), but now I realize it actually made our lives a lot easier. I hope you find it helpful too! And remember, we all have our programming, right? Some kids just don't seem to recognize when they are tired that well, and you have to keep your eyes peeled for symptoms and get them down right that minute, or it all falls apart. I know my baby boy Joe is like this, and I have a feeling you're dealing with something similar.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

See what lack of sleep does to you??? I misread - I will tell daycare to LIMIT her sleep tomorrow.

- I am too old for this no sleep thing.
    Lori -
    43 yo mom to 3

You know, it does make sense. Both boys had to give up their naps completely by 2 years - that was a HUGE fight with daycare.

Thanks so much and I will keep you posted.
    Lori -
    43 yo mom to 3

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*startingover View Post
    You know, it does make sense. Both boys had to give up their naps completely by 2 years - that was a HUGE fight with daycare.

Thanks so much and I will keep you posted.
    I often have to struggle to keep Joe awake during that "happy hour" period from about 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. so I hear you on that. But it's worth poking him and keeping him moving if I can get him to bed nice and early.

Another thing I do is I do not let Joe get back up after he's gone to bed. I'll lay there, holding and nursing him, even holding him down if he can't seem to settle down, for however long it takes. Frankly, this sucks sometimes, and I also fall asleep next to him pretty frequently, or my DH takes on bedtime duty and falls asleep. But I know my baby - I know that even though he "acts" wide awake, in reality he is REALLY OVERTIRED and that makes him act wired.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*startingover View Post
    See what lack of sleep does to you??? I misread - I will tell daycare to LIMIT her sleep tomorrow.

- I am too old for this no sleep thing.
    I was curious about what you meant. I thought maybe you meant that way you could have a non-cranky toddler with no evening nap.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months