Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: first day back at work, how much to put into bottles?

Default first day back at work, how much to put into bottles?

How much BM should I put into LO's bottles on my first day back at work?
    2oz? 3oz?

She is being cared for my family in our home.

I'd like to leave 4 bottles (two morning feedings, two afternoon feedings), and see what she leaves behind at each feeding so I know about how much she is eating during the day so I know how much to leave her in the future.

I will come home at lunch to BF.

I don't want to start out with too much as I'd like to avoid her overfeeding.

I'd rather not give my family access to the freezer stash - I'd rather manage that supply stash on my own.
    TW
    <Abigail 9/6/10>

Default Re: first day back at work, how much to put into bottles?

How old is your LO? I started leaving my LO at 7wks and I left 2.5oz to 3oz bottles. And then bumped him up to 3 to 4oz bottles as he got older. Baby generally needs 1 - 1.5oz of milk for every hour you are gone. Our sitter would save any unfinished milk for the next feeding as well.
    Proud Mama to Noah Michael and Baby Charlie

w/ PP - Your baby is ~ 4 mos going by your sig? Probably 3 oz bottles would be fine. Keep in mind that she will suck those things down way faster than she nurses, so she may act as though she is still hungry @ the end, when all she may need is cuddles. I think I went as high as three 5-oz bottles when S was around 5 mos, but then back down to 4 oz bottles once he started solid foods.

I got a lot of pressure from my daycare to start him on cereal almost as soon as he started there (@ 11 weeks). Since my supply was good, I was able to provide 4 bottles a day for his especially fussy days, starting w/ 3-4oz and going up to 4-5oz. We didn't start solids until 6 mos, and even then I never really gave him cereal.

ETA: I agree w/ not giving them access to your freezer stash.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

3oz will be a good start
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    3oz will be a good start

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

does is make sense to leave 4 bottles of 3oz? I will be coming home for lunch.

It might be overkill but I can back off later after I see what she does right?
    TW
    <Abigail 9/6/10>

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wilsonduo97 View Post
    does is make sense to leave 4 bottles of 3oz? I will be coming home for lunch.

It might be overkill but I can back off later after I see what she does right?
    Well it is a lot especially if over feeding is an issue, but you can use the extra bottle tomorrow if you want.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    Well it is a lot especially if over feeding is an issue, but you can use the extra bottle tomorrow if you want.
    Joe drank three bottles of about four oz each, MAXIMUM. If you're coming home for lunch to nurse, I think that's going to be too much, but of course, it's up to you whether you want to leave a "spare" for security.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

My guy is 9 months and takes 5oz, maybe 5.5. He was 4 months when I went back to work and was taking 3.5-4oz 3x/day. I remember it slowly increased, and my supply did as well. I always pumped a TON in the morning after I got to work around 9:30am or so. There were a few times I would pump 8-10oz...of course he wouldn't take that much, but I had extra bottles and was able to build up a nice stash that way!