Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Heartbroken

Default Heartbroken

My son is now 9 weeks, and right from the start we had bf problems. In the hospital, he had trouble latching on and tore my nipples to shreds! I was in absolute pain and my poor nipples were even bleeding! The nurse gave me a shield to use and this really seemed to help except for the fact that my little one would fall asleep 5 minutes into feeding! This eventually led to supplementing and I would pump and give it to him in the bottle. This seemed to work up until about 2 weeks ago. I weaned my baby partially from the shield but then we relapsed and he wouldn't take my nipple bare. Pumping is not getting him nearly enough of what he demands these days which has led to more formula than BM. I am only pumping an ounce every time I pump and in turn I have gotten so frustrated that I have only been pumping aprox 3 times a day in the last week. I still feel a letdown and that's when I rush to pump but I am lucky if I get 2 oz. I'm drinking the Mothers Milk Tea and a friend of mine has recommended Domparadone. She's a nurse and has heard a lot about it. I return to work in just 2 weeks and I do not want to stop bf. I'm heartbroken that I have failed and feel like I might as well count my losses but the other part of me refuse to give up. Is there any way to increase production? At this point how can I get my little one to latch on to me again? (The last few times we've tried, he sucks like a maniac and screams because nothing is coming out fast enough). Please help! I'm desperate!

Default Re: Heartbroken

You haven't failed mama. Don't give up!! I am currently using domperidone and it has really helped. I am also out of the house alot (student) and have to pump while I am away which led to my daughter liking the bottle better than the breast. The domperidone has increased my supply and made the milk flow faster so my daughter is happy at the breast again. I started at 30mg 3 times a day and am now taking 40 mg 3 times a day. I can't really help you with any of your other questions except to say a lactation consultant could help you with the latch
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school

My son was also very sleepy. We undressed him down to his diaper and had a cold washcloth ready...not fun but it worked. Pumping can be very frustrating and is not an accurate measure of what the baby would get at the breast. I would pump one side at a time and do breast compressions. Relaxing makes a big difference, at least in my case it did. I always had my iPod going while pumping.

A lactation consultant would definitely help with the latch and getting baby to nurse. I was doing bottles and a nipple shield in the beginning and were able to get him nursing with lots of patience.
    SAHM to my sweet December baby boy.

Thanks for the words of encouragement! My hubby tries to keep me positive but I get down on my self sometimes. My inlaws don't really seem to appreciate the fact that I bf. They seem kind of grossed out by the whole thing to be honest. We spend a lot of time there so I'm thinking that a lack of support has contributed to my mess. Today we are seeing a lactation nurse so hopefully we can get the ball rolling today. Wish me luck!

I understand lack of support from in laws. At first they seemed so nervous about it but have accepted it especially seeing how healthy my little guy has been. My mil did ff and her boys had lots of ear infections etc.
    SAHM to my sweet December baby boy.