Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: painful!!!!

Default painful!!!!

i am in so much pain that i start to sweat! she has been latching on good from day one, but now 7 weeks later the pain is unbearable!
    what can it be? cracked?

i use the cream, just started. Not sure how it works though bec it is sooo sticky. is it ok for her to suck on?

i cringe from pain the whole feeding and i dont want to stop bec of this. please help

Default Re: painful!!!!

Well a common pain cause is a poor latch, have you had It checked out by an IBCLC? That would be my first guess. Do you see any cracks? Any burning sensation in the breast or is it just the pain when she latched on?

Eta burning is a common indicator for thrush but I would also make sure her latch is deep enough, many times babies star off and seem fine with the latch, but after a few weeks it becomes horribly painful and can lead to thinks like cracked nipples, thrush, etc.
    Last edited by @llli*jenna562; January 3rd, 2011 at 12:29 AM.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

If her latch hasn't changed & you don't see any cracks, I would think maybe yeast. I know that one of the biggest indicators is painful nursing after a period of nonpainful nursing...and I know from experience that it HURTS the entire time - and even in between nursing sessions.

Check out http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...resources.html

and good luck. I know all about painful nursing - I tend to kick my legs and bite my lip so I don't transfer my energy through him...I even have cried through many a nursing session.

Have you had pain since the beginning? Or is it new? When the nipple comes out of her mouth, do you see any creases in it, or is it shaped kind of like a new tube of lipstick?

If the pain has been there since the beginning, it could be a latch problem. The pain might have gotten worse since your nipples haven't had a chance to heal.

If nursing used to be comfortable and has only recently become painful, then thrush (yeast) is a likely cause.

Either way, I agree with jenna562 that it would be a good idea to see a board certified lactation consultant (IBCLC) who could help you pinpoint where the problem is.

What kind of cream are you using?
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

her latch seems fine. Toward the end of the day it tends to hurt more and toward the end of the feeding session. But at night it hurts throughout the entire feeding. I am always checking to see that she is latched properly throughout.

not sure what cracks reallt look like. it just feels as if she is biting me. After she is done my breast just hurt.

That is exactly what i do. kick my legs and bite my lips. i was supposed to go to a meeting but we had a bad snow storm, so hopefully tomorrow

what sort of cream are you using?

its called lansinoh.

the pain just started recently. it started on one side, for like a week and then last night the other one started to hurt. After she nurses it looks like a tube of lipstick.

if it is thrush, how does a person get it? what is caused by? and is that something i should see my regular dr for or my obgyn?

the pain just started recently. it started on one side, for like a week and then last night the other one started to hurt. After she nurses it looks like a tube of lipstick.
    Interesting. Have you always had lipstick nips after nursing, or is that new? Usually lipstick nips are a sign of a latch issue.

if it is thrush, how does a person get it?
    Thrush is just another name for yeast, which is a natural part of the microbial flora (bacteria and yeasts) that lives on your skin. Usually this flora is balanced, and causes no problems. But sometimes one component of the flora grows out of control- as with a vaginal yeast infection.

Everything you never wanted to know about thrush: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...resources.html

is that something i should see my regular dr for or my obgyn?
    ob/gyn or midwife, and possibly pediatrician.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...blanching.html
    this link talks about the lipsitck tip nipple..

and more then you ever wanted to know about thrush.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/thrush/index.html

thnx everyone. i am going to see a LC today and from there I will see what to do