Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: CHOKES AT EVERY FEEDING?????

Question CHOKES AT EVERY FEEDING?????

Hi all...my LO is now 9 weeks now and we have been exclusively breastfeeding and doing better than the beginning when i shared our troubles of gas and spitting up. I now believe that is more of a laundry problem than anything else Everytime that i feed him i do feel a forceful letdown and he starts to choke right away. I actually kind of wait for it now and get ready to save him from it. I am not sure what to do or if there IS anything can do. I don't plan on stopping so I would LOVE some feedback and suggestions OR is anyone else experiencing the same thing???

Default Re: CHOKES AT EVERY FEEDING?????

As soon as I felt the letdown, I would just let it squirt into a cloth before latching my LO back on the boob. Or I've heard you can try reclining back, so the letdown won't feel so forceful.

Hope that helps!
    I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and

Oh wow, I am gonna try that at the next feeding!!! Funny how these little tips make you so happy!!! It's pretty much all i do as I chase my 2 year old around and sending the 9 year off too school!!!

Use a pillow and a rocker to put your child in more of a sitting position. That helps with the OALD. And in the weeks to come look for your child to start "popping off" which is when a child who is learning to cope with OALD starts to anticipate the letdown and is trying to avoid getting caught in it.

Way too lazy for formula

Yep I agree with pp. Catch the let down with a towel and then latch LO back on. I had the same problem....it eventually went away or maybe my LO just got used to it?
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*marilyn612 View Post
    Yep I agree with pp. Catch the let down with a towel and then latch LO back on. I had the same problem....it eventually went away or maybe my LO just got used to it?
    Either it regulates after a few months or baby can keep up with the flow more easily as he gets bigger (or both), but it tends to get better by 3 months or so.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

I have OALD and have found that the side lying position is the best. She barely sputters, but if the milk does cause problems it just sorta dribbles down the side. I've also taken her off and let the milk collect in a cloth diaper. It works, but she gets pretty worked up because she's off the breast!

I've read that eventually the OALD and milk supply will regulate based on your little one's needs, so just like most things with bf, it should get better with time.

I don't think my OALD ever really went away. At least not in the first year. My son just learned to cope. He popped off and he clicked. He clicked because he was using his tongue to regulate the spray.

Way too lazy for formula