Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: is biting and pulling sign of low supply?

Default is biting and pulling sign of low supply?

My 7 mo has this week just started pulling her heard back hard, and pushing against me with her hands, while nursing. It's like she wants to be as far away from me as possible while nursing but I think it has something to do with getting the milk to come out. Maybe it makes it come faster? She also nurses for a minute or two and then bites me on the very tip of my nipple (while pulling back). She has teeth and it hurts.

I have not started her on solids yet. Do you think she may be hungry? Trying to get more milk? Should I do something to increase my supply or start solids?

I am not eager to start solids but the biting has to stop.

Any input is really appreciated!

Thank you and happy new year!
    Homebirthing, , , , often , CDing and SLTAs! (Still Learning The Acronyms)

Default Re: is biting and pulling sign of low supply?

Mama it sounds to me like classic attempts to boost your supply. Baby's instinctually do this when they are ready for more milk. Often brought on by a growth spurt maybe too.
    And the biting is so rough! Mine did this too. Is she cutting any teeth right now? That might be contributing too.
    As far as if she is still hungry, it's possible but then that would be why she is working to boost your supply.

Is she having enough pee diapers?
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Thank you for your input!

She is peeing a lot. She is a big baby, 19 pounds, and has 2 top and 2 bottom teeth. I don't think any new ones are cutting through just now.

How can I boost my supply?
    Homebirthing, , , , often , CDing and SLTAs! (Still Learning The Acronyms)

She's probably doing that for you just fine

BUT some natural milk boosters are eating oatmeal everyday, drinking lots of water, drinking Mothers Milk Tea (it has Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle in it and it's YUMMY), nurse her even more frequently than on demand and you could even try pumping extra to boost supply too.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"