Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: need help!!!!

Default Re: need help!!!!

Hmm, I'm thinking that you have some combination of 3 possible problems:
    - Latch problem. Would be consistent with the pain at the beginning of feedings, since many babies start out with a shallow latch and gradually work their way into a deeper latch, at which point the pain generally decreases or disappears. Also consistent with a blister and clicking during feedings.
    - vasospasm- would be consistent with pain after feedings and throbbing pain
    - thrush- also would be consistent with pain after feedings, throbbing pain, and a blister.

My nipple is elongated and symmetrical
    Great! That indicates that if this is a latch issue, it is not as bad as it could be. Mamas with "lipstick" nipples tend to have far worse latch issues than those with "pencil eraser" nipples.

but no changes in color
    Also good! If you were seeing a lot of redness/pinkness/shininess/white patches/flakiness, that would indicate thrush.

I tried putting my finger in her mouth and I could feel that her tongue is behind her gums while sucking.
    Ouch!!! When the tongue doesn't cover the gums, it HURTS!!! And it could easily cause a blister- instead of the nice soft tongue cushioning your skin, you're getting direct pressure from those hard little gums.

Regarding the blister on the areola, should I stop breastfeeding on that side and just pump until it heals?
    Not unless you are in such severe pain that you cannot face nursing. Pumps often don't do as good a job as the baby at emptying the breast, and that can result in plugged ducts or mastitis... Not to mention that giving bottles (and pacis) can interfere with baby's latch, causing additional latching issues. But if you are in such severe pain that you just. can't. take. it., and your baby transitions easily between bottle and breast, it's better to pump and bottle-feed than switch to formula!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I guess all I can do is wait until she learns how to stick out her tongue.

I'm still glad that my condition is not as bad as what others are experiencing. I'm just afraid that if this won't get corrected right away it will get worse to the point that I need to give up breastfeeding. I'm still trying to hold on but I don't know until when I can do this. Right now I'm so tired of latching and unlatching her (anyway it's not working) I I just have to live with the pain. But I'm still looking forward to a pain free breastfeeding.

The pain will go away.

I've nursed three babies, and I'd never been told it can hurt. In fact, I'd been told that it shouldn't hurt.

OK, it shouldn't. Or at least not the whole time. But that first 60 seconds can be very painful. That first 60 seconds is very painful. Your body is being used in a way you have never experienced before. I would count it down. If it still hurt after that, I take the baby off and relatch in a different position.

It will go away. Keep working on the latch. Keep working on getting her to put her tongue out there (yes, that could be the source of that blister). It usually takes me at least 7-10 days to get the pain to go away. If it still hurts a lot after that, I start thinking of thrush or continued latch issues.

You CAN do this..but only if you don't quit and start using bottles and pacifiers; that can certainly contribute to poor latching and continued pain.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I may be wrong, it may not be a blister. it's like a small hole on my areola and the surrounding area is bulging and reddish. i can tolerate the pain on the left but not on the right because of that little hole.

Is it possible that my baby doesn't have thrush-since there is no sign (per the ped) and I have it? my OB said my breasts look fine-easy for him to say. Is it time to switch doctor?

Is the hole kind of on the edge of your areola? Like where regular breast skin meets areola? If so, you could be describing an infected Montgomery gland.

There's definitely a chance that you're thrush-free. We're suggesting thrush as a possibility despite your doc's evaluation because it's very common for a doc to take one look at the baby's mouth, say "Nope, no thrush there," and call it a day because he/she doesn't see the classic sign of thrush: pearly white patches in the baby's mouth. Thrush can present in a variety of ways and sometimes a mama-baby pair can be infected without having the classic symptom.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

The whole is half an inch away fr0m the nipple.

Breastfeeding was doing so well last night for the first time. I actually thought this is it, I will finally enjoy breastfeeding. I was so happy. Even though the nipple still comes out flat(blanching) it doesn't hurt as much and even the hole did not hurt and I was breastfeeding every 2 hours, I didn't mind at all until this morning I was in pain again on both breasts.

My LO slept for more than 5 hours after the last feeding last night when I woke up I was so engorged since I did not pump in between while she was sleeping that long. After 5 hours I decided to just pump 'coz it starting to hurt. She woke up right after I pump so I just bottlefed her instead. She went back to sleep again for 4 hours and I woke up engorge again but this time I breastfeed her. After the feeding my breasts were still full and in pain so I pump and got 2 more oz. Could the engorgement be reason why the pain came back? [/COLOR] If there's more milk even after feeding does this mean I have a lot of supply or the baby just did not eat enough? I also found out that she could stick her tongue now but it's sitting just under the nipple while she's sucking. Could this be the reason why I'm experiencing blanching?

The whole is half an inch away fr0m the nipple.
    Okay, I'm guessing it's a Montgomery gland that's irritated or infected. I'd put some Bacitracin ointment on it, and do moist heat compresses.

Could the engorgement be reason why the pain came back?
    I'm willing to bet that the engorgement is what caused the pain. If it happens again, I would avoid the pump, and just hand-express enough milk to restore comfort. That way you won't worry about "not having milk" when your baby wakes up, and you can skip the whole bottlefeeding thing (which you probably didn't need to do- the baby can always get milk even when the breast seems empty) and also not risk maintaining an artificially high supply.

If there's more milk even after feeding does this mean I have a lot of supply or the baby just did not eat enough?
    It's hard to say, based on a single feeding/pumping experience. Sometimes it means the baby didn't eat much when she fed. Sometimes it means you have a lot of supply. You want to look for a pattern. If you can always or frequently easily express a large amount of milk after feedings, then the issue probably is excess supply.

I also found out that she could stick her tongue now but it's sitting just under the nipple while she's sucking. Could this be the reason why I'm experiencing blanching?
    Yes, blanching is often the result of an improper latch. I'm not sure that what you're describing is necessarily wrong, though- I'd want to see a LC in person before making that determination.

Is bacitracin safe for baby? Or do I need to wash it off before feeding?

So far, if not for that infected gland I can say breastfeeding is getting better. I think my nipples just need time to heal. There's only pain at the beginning and it goes away during feeding. I think she's opening her mouth wider now and I also massage her tongue and let her suck on my tongue first before I give my breast which also helps.

Thanks for all the support. Everybody has been very helpful, more than my LC . I would have gone crazy if not for this forum.

i'm glad it's going better. the hydrocortisone that's clear ointment, not cream is safe to leave on your nipple/surrounding while baby is nursing. That might soothe the pain as well.

this http://http://www.kellymom.com/bf/co...lehealing.html
    is a good reference for healing nipples from various causes.

Keep at it, Mama!
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*inay2 View Post
    Is bacitracin safe for baby? Or do I need to wash it off before feeding?
    My LC said it was safe and did not need to be washed off before nursing, but it certainly can't hurt to do so. She also recommended using a combination of 1% hydrocortisone and Bacitracin to combat inflammation and infection (use pea-sized amount, mix and apply w/ clean finger).