Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Am I really so outrageous?

Default Re: Am I really so outrageous?

Sorry to post again but didn't the APA change their BFing recommendation from 1 year to 2 years?
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*marilyn612 View Post
    I don't know...I asked my mom whether my grandmother breastfed her and her brothers and she said nope...cows milk with corn syrup.....
    I'm amazed we survived the previous generations.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*riverleaf View Post
    I'm amazed we survived the previous generations.
    I know....when she said it I was a little
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school

I'm kinda with most everyone else on the topic of they're your kids so whose business is it...however - I work full time, have for 17 years and pumped for 1year with my second and 10 mo with my third (3x/day at work) - it is FAR from impossible. The ONLY reason I quit pumping when I did, was that I no longer needed the stockpile of milk - all me, not because of pressure or because it was hard or impossible.

Sometimes it is better to just let it go - especially if it is not going to change what you are doing. Let them have their opinion and do your thing. My mom didn't like me nursing my second so long (14mo), and told me so. I told her I didn't want to be disrespectful, but I didn't remember asking her. My mom and I were best friends, so we agreed to disagree.
    Lori -
    wife to Davis, my best friend and strongest supporter
    43 yo mom to 3

Lee Allen Christopher - 19 - precious preemie , all grown up; BF 6 wks
    Connor Ethan - 13 - my red head , ALL boy, ALL the time; BF 14 mo
    Mollie Rhiannon - 5 - my surprise , more fun than I ever expected; BFing, no end in sight!!

Believe me I'm not going to change anything based on their opinions. I was just whining about their lack of understanding, and recognizing how lucky I am to live in a place where BF beyond a year is typical...and extending my respect to those of you who continue to BF despite the people around you.

Anyone know if it would be a good idea to pump and offer BM in a cup to my 4 yr old who's sick? Really weak and achey after 24 hr vomiting and just fell asleep with the effort of nibbling at half a slice of toast.
    Emma

J from Aug '06 to Nov '08 and S from April 2009

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*purplemonkey View Post

Anyone know if it would be a good idea to pump and offer BM in a cup to my
    4 yr old who's sick? Really weak and achey after 24 hr vomiting and just fell asleep with the effort of nibbling at half a slice of toast.
    Breastmilk is a clear fluid. Worth a try. It may not shorten the duration of the virus, but might help?
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

I am very blessed to have a mom who supports me - I think she is impressed, because she keeps telling me "I could never express anything" when we talk about her attempts to breastfeed me, and how my experience is so different.

I am totally in favor of the crazy thing - just go completely granola on them. :-) Maybe point out that you are just trying to give your LO a better immune system that you had!