Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: spit up and gas! :/

Default spit up and gas! :/

My baby Claire is 10 days old today and I am breastfeeding exclusively. We haven't had any problems with it so far, she has latched on perfectly from the start, thank goodness! When my milk came in, she started spitting up after every feeding. I asked the pediatrician about it and it said it was normal, that her digestive tract was still developing and it would get better. She's gaining weight so I'm not too worried about it.

The other day she started having a LOT of gas. So much that she'd start screaming her head off about 15 minutes after feeding, and she'd scream for a good hour sometimes. I can't stand seeing her in pain and not being able to help! Again, the pediatrician said not to worry about it and it would get better. I've been giving her Mylicon drops after she eats, and that seems to help most of the time (even though the dr said they were a waste of money!). Now for the past few days, when I get up in the morning and feed her (she eats every 2-3 hours usually) about 30 minutes later she spews it all back out. I don't mean this is a little spitup. It gets al over her face and hair and body, and this morning she was in her swing when it happened and now its all over the floor. Seems like a lot. After I get her cleaned up and changed, she's hungry again, and I feed her and then she's fine. She may spit up a little during the day but not much at all usually.

Do you think my milk is just gushing out in the morning and she's getting more than she can handle?? Is that possible? I make her take breaks when she's nursing and I burp her, but that doesn't seem to help at the first feeding of the day. I thought about pumping and giving her a bottle first thing in the morning to see if that helps. What do you think of that? (She does take a bottle, though she prefers my breast. The nurses gave her a little formula while she was under the UV lights in the hospital. And I pumped the other day and gave her a bottle just to see how she reacted to it.)

Any advice or tips ya'll have, please share! I plan on attending my local LLL meeting in a few weeks, but I sure do wish it was sooner!

Default Re: spit up and gas! :/

its ok to call your local leader before the meeting she might be willing to get to gether before that.

Hi there, I don't have much specific advice, but thought I'd share our situation with you - let you know you're not alone - and maybe somewhere ni there you might find something that helps...

My LO is 9 weeks old and started spitting up a lot about a week after he was born...and he started really grunting and groaning trying to pass gas. Occasionally he'll squeal in pain for a second or two or lightly whimper, but he never screams...but it does wake him up.

I cut dairy and chocolate out of my diet, and it took about 2-3 weeks, but I really noticed a difference in his grunting and groaning. He's still a gassy baby, but it seems much easier for him to pass it now, it's only occasionally that he seems in pain.

Sadly, the spit up didn't change much - but I did notice a pattern. He rarely spits up at night, and it's always the worst after his first feeding of the day - and although he spits up throughout the day, it's usually never as much as in the morning. I don't know if it's because I have the most milk in the morning and he's chugging along, or if he's been lying down all night and then suddenly being up and active brings it up, or if at night he's so sleepy he doesn't fuss much at the breast so he doesn't get as much air bubbles.

Also, one thing my pediatrician told me to put it in perspective (I know I've posted this in other threads) is to take a teaspoon of water and spill it on the counter, and observe how much it looks like - it always looks like more than it is...and when it comes back up it's mixed with digestive juices & mucous - so it's not all milk coming back up. He said if I could collect it all and put it together, it probably is only 1/2 to 1 ounce of liquid coming up - and baby has probably had 3-4 ounces of food going down.

Anyway - I hope it gets better for your LO. You're doing great!

Thanks. It does help to know I'm not alone! Claire hasn't had any more bad spitup today, and not much gas. I've been letting her nurse as much or as little as she wants, and when she wants. The doctor told methe other day I should only be feeding her every 3-4 hrs and making her nurse each breast every time. She just can't do that though! She eats for 10-15 minutes usually, and sually just one breast, and she's hungry every 2 hrs, though sometimes she goes longer. It just seems more natural to me to let her nuse like her body needs to.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2claire View Post
    It just seems more natural to me to let her nuse like her body needs to.
    I TOTALLY agree. Every 3- 4 hours is a long interval for a BF newborn. I thought every 2-3 was the norm, and usually more often than that in the early weeks. There were times (specifically around 3 weeks old) that my LO would sometimes only go 20-30 minutes between feedings.

Trust your mommy instincts and as long as her diaper output is good and she is gaining weight - keep on doing what is right for you and your baby.