Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8 months still not nursing

Default 8 months still not nursing

Hello again,

I posted about a week ago about a nursing strike. My daughter has still not nursed and it has been 10 days. I have tried all of the wonderful suggestions that you all gave and contacted my L/C and llcc. She has been to the dr. and nothing seems to be going on medically except that a tooth is coming in. I have given her meds to help this and the tooth has broken through the gum. Do you all think that this is a weaning or a strike? She did stop all of the sudden and I know that this usually means that it is a strike. I am pumping around the clock and I have other responsibilities. I want to give up!!!!! Any suggestions would be wonderful. She becomes very angry, arches her back, screams, cries and gets choked up when I try to nurse her. She is a light sleeper so night nursing has not worked nor has a warm bath, quiet room, different nursing positions, skin to skin, and being in the sling. I have not gotten her to latch on during this time. Is it time for ABM? :

Chris

Default Re: 8 months still not nursing

Wow, I wish I had some advice. I haven't had experience with this, my LO is only 2 mos.

I assume you've read the usual links?
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/strike.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

I just wanted to say good luck, I hope you get her nursing again soon! Don't give up, I'm sure it's possible.
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

I dont know if anyone has suggested this but maybe its something you are eating? My baby used to do the same exact thing, scream, arch her back, act frustrated whenever I ate onion rings, lobster rolls, and cheetos. As soon as I figured out what it was, I could nurse again.

SHE NURSED TONIGHT before going to sleep!!! PRAISE THE LORD, I feel so much better and hope that the strike is over.

Thanks for all of the suggestions,

Chris

Glad to hear your success! I hope that she's "come around" for you now! For good!
    Hi! I'm Ann, Mama to my "big baby buffalo" , DS#1, who breastfed from August '06 to January '08
    and DS#2, my"little baby buffalo" born in May '08 and exclusively breastfeeding