Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Multivitamin supplement - how to give if EBF?

Default Multivitamin supplement - how to give if EBF?

Hi,

My pedi said to give baby (almost 5 weeks) Poly-Vi-Sol multivitamin drop (one ML per day).

How can we do this, other than dispensing it directly in his mouth (one method the package indicates) if I am exclusively breast feeding?

- in the earlier weeks, we were supplementing with some formula in a bottle so we dropped it in there (baby had jaundice, so we needed to supplement)

- then we started to EBF, and I was experimenting with my pump so I tried (2 nights) to give the baby one bottle of expressed BM with the multi-vitamin dropped in. He seemed to have nipple confusion (or so I think).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Default Re: Multivitamin supplement - how to give if EBF?

I suggest using the dropper method, and giving the vitamins to the baby in the bath, since they stain. Try to get the dropper deep into his mouth- if you dispense the liquid in the front of his mouth he'll probably spit it out. It tastes pretty nasty!

5 weeks is pretty early to do multivitamin supplementation. Breastmilk contains all the vitamins/minerals your baby needs, with the possible exception of Vitamin D. You can just give Vitamin D drops if you prefer.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yeah, I would second the dropper. It's pretty easy ( as long as they are not crying hysterically )

Is there a reason your pedi is suggesting vitamin supplements? Does your LO have a vit deficiency or is this something he/she recommends across the board for all patients? breastmilk has everything your baby needs with the exception of vit D as said before. But if you aren't vit d deficient your milk will have enough of that too.

Have you had your levels checked? It's a simple blood test to see if you need to take supplements and then your baby will get the vitamins through your milk. I take a multivitamin, 500 mg of vit c and 4000 iu of vit d3 daily but don't supplement LO with anything. He still nurses quite frequently so I know he is getting everything he needs through my milk.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton