Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Returning to work and baby only feeds from one breast at a time

Default Returning to work and baby only feeds from one breast at a time

So when I'm at work, do I double pump even though at home she feeds from one side only at a feeding? Will I increase my supply and have an over abundance? My feeding now generally fall at 6 am, 10 am, 1 pm, 4 pm, and 8 pm. Only two fall during work. Please help.

Default Re: Returning to work and baby only feeds from one breast at a time

I was in the same situation - Joe only nurses on one side at a time. So I did pump double-sided, but I didn't do quite as frequently as I nursed - so I only pumped twice or at most three times in my eight hour shift. It works out. Double pumping saves SO MUCH TIME. You're not going to want to do each side separately.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    I was in the same situation - Joe only nurses on one side at a time. So I did pump double-sided, but I didn't do quite as frequently as I nursed - so I only pumped twice or at most three times in my eight hour shift. It works out. Double pumping saves SO MUCH TIME. You're not going to want to do each side separately.
    WSS

When I returned to work A was only nursing from one side at a time. I double pumped, just less often than he would nurse. He still had milk at the right time at the weekend and oversupply didn't become an issue.

I remember that returning to work and pumping felt like it had to be this really complicated challenge - but it doesn't. With a bit of research and prep (which you're here doing) it doesn't take long to get into the rhythm of things.

One thing that really helped me to feel ready was to send A into nursery for the day before I returned to work, so I could have a trial day at pumping.
    Mum to Alexander, born 2nd April 2010

Still at a year and when apart
    Part time cloth and

Midna is our cat - it made sense at two in the morning whilst hunting for help!

I double pumped as well. I found that S was way better at nursing than the pump was, so I still pumped three times in the 9.5-10 hrs we were apart, with him getting three bottles during that time.

Also, when I went back to work, he would occasionally need a fourth bottle - not that he needed the milk, per se, I think he just needed the cuddles. So even though I probably could have gotten away with two pumps a day, I generally tried to stick with three.

Good luck!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    I double pumped as well. I found that S was way better at nursing than the pump was, so I still pumped three times in the 9.5-10 hrs we were apart, with him getting three bottles during that time.

Also, when I went back to work, he would occasionally need a fourth bottle - not that he needed the milk, per se, I think he just needed the cuddles. So even though I probably could have gotten away with two pumps a day, I generally tried to stick with three.

Good luck!
    Every woman has a different "storage capacity," and you figure it out after a couple of days of trial and error, you know? I used to get almost two full bottles in the morning, and then only one in the afternoon pumping. My milk supply is HIGH in the mornings, but that's just me, you know? Everyone is different.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.