Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: what pump will do this????

Question what pump will do this????

I have a medal pump in style advanced and a ameda egnell are either of these a good enough pump to keep my supply up if I only pump durring the day and bf in the evenings and at night or would there be another one I should get! And how often should I pump durring. The day I am home all day but I am finding it to hard to ebf with my other 3 running wild and she is a very slow eatter!! Any advice/help welcom thanks in adavance!

Default Re: what pump will do this????

It really depends on how your body responds to the pump. Whichever pump you prefer is going to be the better one. As for how often, it depends on the age of your baby to some extent but you will basically have to pump for each feeding.

I don't mean to be rude, but how do you think pumping and feeding bottles will reduce the time it takes? Even if your baby eats from the bottle faster you will have to pump for each feeding so there's the set up and dismantle time and cleaning time added to the actual pumping time. Plus the washing and sterilizing of bottles. And then you'll still have to sit down and hold the baby to give her a bottle. There's a common misperception that a bottle is easier, but I think if the whole goal is to save time, then you won't find it's any easier. As your baby grows she will become a more efficient nurser and the time will decrease.

Do you have any baby carriers? A moby or a sling? A lot of moms find they are able to nurse while wearing the baby in one of those and deal with the older kids at the same time.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

My baby girl is 7 weeks old I thought ebf was going really well up intell the last coupel days I think she starting to go though another grouth spurt I have been feeding her today every hour since 7am and its 1pm now I know the time will not be easier but I guess its I tryed useing a sling the moby but I am a big women and found it not comfty and when ever I have to deal with the other kids we lose the latch and have to wait till I'm done with the bigger kids to sit down and start over which by then she is really mad I thought if I pump durring the day and feed her bottles cause she dose not really have a problem going between the breast and the bottle I could bf in the evenings when my hubby is home and can help with the others!! I have been back and fourth over this disicion for weeks and just want to enjoy being with my baby feeding her instead of it feeling like tourture because every time I go to feed her is the sign to my 2 and 4 year old too start messing around getting into troble and fighting and I'm like ahhhhhhhhhhh!

Ah, man, that does sound like a challenge!!!

To answer your question - that Pump in Style should be fine for pumping several times a day, if you're still BF'ing at night.

Maybe it's worth giving pumping a try to see if that helps, but I would also encourage you to keep trying BF'ing during the day too, because although things are hard right now, you're right at the point where they are likely to ease up a bit. By three months, Joe was a pretty efficient little nurser, and he could also hold his head well enough to stay latched on in a Moby or sling.

So if you want to try pumping as a short term solution, it's worth a shot, but keep in mind, this too shall pass, and in the long run, pumping is harder, yk?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thank you I do hope to continue bf!!!

how old is your baby?
    the 1st 6-8 weeks is such a big adjustment for everybody!

The older ones will settle down a little bit as they get used to a new routine...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*just4britt View Post
    My baby girl is 7 weeks old I thought ebf was going really well up intell the last coupel days I think she starting to go though another grouth spurt I have been feeding her today every hour since 7am and its 1pm now I know the time will not be easier but I guess its I tryed useing a sling the moby but I am a big women and found it not comfty and when ever I have to deal with the other kids we lose the latch and have to wait till I'm done with the bigger kids to sit down and start over which by then she is really mad I thought if I pump durring the day and feed her bottles cause she dose not really have a problem going between the breast and the bottle I could bf in the evenings when my hubby is home and can help with the others!! I have been back and fourth over this disicion for weeks and just want to enjoy being with my baby feeding her instead of it feeling like tourture because every time I go to feed her is the sign to my 2 and 4 year old too start messing around getting into troble and fighting and I'm like ahhhhhhhhhhh!
    I only have one older one so I can only imagine how your situation would be double as difficult as mine was. My two year old too would start fooling around everytime I sat down to nurse.

Sometimes what I would do is make nursing time into story time and read my two year old a book while I nursed. That way she was getting attention too. Didn't always work but it helped sometimes.

It's really tough in the beginning to juggle a new baby and a toddler (or two!). But you will get through this one way or another. There's no harm in trying to pump and bottle feed just to see how it works for you. You can always go back to nursing exclusively if it doesn't work for you. I just wanted to point out that sometimes we feel like there must be an easier way to do things when we get stressed.

Do you have any friends or family who can stop by here and there to give you a hand?
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babylove View Post
    I don't mean to be rude, but how do you think pumping and feeding bottles will reduce the time it takes? Even if your baby eats from the bottle faster you will have to pump for each feeding so there's the set up and dismantle time and cleaning time added to the actual pumping time. Plus the washing and sterilizing of bottles. And then you'll still have to sit down and hold the baby to give her a bottle. There's a common misperception that a bottle is easier, but I think if the whole goal is to save time, then you won't find it's any easier. As your baby grows she will become a more efficient nurser and the time will decrease.
    I think that pumping is much, much harder and more time consuming than nursing.

One thing you could try is getting a special DVD or perhaps a basket of toys that comes out only when you are nursing the baby. That might buy you a bit of peace and quiet from the older kids!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

and if you don't have family to help hire a young teen to come in after school.
    Even if its just for a few hours a few times a week to help entertain the older ones.

Ditto on the fact that pumping is more time consuming!
    Last edited by @llli*mamaplainandtall; January 5th, 2011 at 10:16 AM.