Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this typical growth spurt behavior?

Default Is this typical growth spurt behavior?

Hi everyone - my daughter turns 6 wks tomorrow. Starting yesterday morning, she's had marathon nursing sessions. She was good through the afternoon and evening, but starting last night around 2 am, she hasn't slept (nor have I!) for more than about 45 mins. I've just been going with it and have parked myself on the couch.

However, when it seems like she should be "done," she starts pulling and twisting and crying out - as though there's nothing left. I burp her - she roots, but kind of fights going back on, but wants to.

Is this part of stimulating my body for her future needs or could it mean a problem? It hurts pretty badly, but I've read here that she needs to suckle an empty breast for my body to increase supply, so I've tried to go with it. How would you know if it was a supply issue vs growth spurt?

Trying to anticipate your questions to answer mine:
    I've not been able to rely on dirty diapers since she's been about 2 wks old. A LC I've been working with says this is OK and normal. Wet diapers are plentiful.

Generally, she goes 2-3 hrs during the day and anywhere between 2 and 5 hours at night between feedings (I mean she sleeps that long, not from start to start). So I'm thinking if she wasn't getting enough she wouldn't be on that schedule, though I could be wrong.

I've been battling severe thrush, but we've had the problem for 6 weeks and she doesn't usually do this twisting thing all the time. I have an OALD, but she seems to be getting used to it.

I think that's it..thanks for your opinions!

Default Re: Is this typical growth spurt behavior?

Oh, also, this is probably a stupid question - but is nipple trauma - like a cracked nipple - obvious to spot? I keep looking for a crack and nothing is obvious. But this pain feels different than the pain I"ve had with thrush. I'm using APNO after every session.

Default Re: Is this typical growth spurt behavior?

That sounds like a growth spurt to me. I usually see a difference the next day and completely back to normal in two days. My guess is the pain would be from the thrush, however she could have changed her latch because she's agitated from not getting as much milk as she wants. Just keep an eye on the latch.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn