Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thrush? or sore nipples?

Default Thrush? or sore nipples?

Hi ladies

I've been BF DS for 14 months but we've hit a painful bump in the road. I am in some serious pain whenever he latches on. I am 7 weeks pregnant so part of me is thinking it has to do with my nipples being extra sensitive, but I am not sure.

I was sick with a cold and then DS got it so he was nursing all.the.time. and then after he got better is when nursing started to get painful. It only seems to be when he latches on and after a few minutes the pain goes away. Unless he tries to do some balancing acts which in turn stretches my nipple

We never had thrush before which is why i'm asking. I havent seen any white patches or dots in his mouth, but from what ive read, they dont always have to be present correct?

Thanks and Happy New Years Eve!
    Darylann

Married to my best friend 7/09
    Mommy to my Water baby T 10/29/09

Loving and Cloth diapering T's

expecting a 8/15/2011

Default Re: Thrush? or sore nipples?

Correct- you don't always see the white patches. But what you describe makes me think latch issue or pregnancy soreness, not thrush, because it happens predominantly when your baby is nursing and you don't mention a lot of thrush-specific symptoms. With thrush, you'd probably see some or all of the following:
    - itchiness
    - flaky skin on nipples
    - redness or pinkness in nipple/areola
    - white patches on nipple/areola
    - burning sensation during or after nursing
    - cracks, particularly cracks radiating around nipple instead of confined to one area
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Thrush? or sore nipples?

It could be a latch issue since I dont have any of those other symptoms. Sometimes its like he attacks my boob when he latches on (I guess he just loves nursing so much!).
    We usually nurse laying down so I can get some rest and he does some crazy moves as he's nursing. 1 foot in the air with an arm stretched out. Or putting his butt in the air and then coming down.. and repeating that over and over again. So Im sure that doesn't help with his latch either.
    Darylann

Married to my best friend 7/09
    Mommy to my Water baby T 10/29/09

Loving and Cloth diapering T's

expecting a 8/15/2011