Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: water and milk supply?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    44

    Default water and milk supply?

    I find my milk supply appears to be very low in the afternoon/ evening, around 5 pm on. my son starts his 5 pm fussies, then 6 screamies- sounds the same as when a bottle is empty and he wants more.

    and when i try to pump to start a letdown, or get anything really, i get nothing, a few drops.

    this is all worse if i drink less water than usual as well. anyone else go kind "dry"
    in the afternoon?
    does this happen to anyone else as far as the water? how much water do you all drink?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    19,889

    Default Re: water and milk supply?

    This is very normal, especially with a young baby. Milk supply waxes and wanes throughout the day. Many moms notice that they have the most milk at night and early in the morning, and the least in the late afternoon/evening. Unsurprisingly, this often coincides with the baby's maximum fussiness- but that's not an indication that the baby isn't getting any milk. He's getting milk because the breast is never empty (remember that pumping does not empty the breast as well as the baby does)- he's just not getting it as fast as he likes and that can make a tired baby even more cranky.

    The best way to get through it is to nurse as much as possible in the evenings. That will train your body to produce more at that time of day.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    44

    Default Re: water and milk supply?

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    This is very normal, especially with a young baby. Milk supply waxes and wanes throughout the day. Many moms notice that they have the most milk at night and early in the morning, and the least in the late afternoon/evening. Unsurprisingly, this often coincides with the baby's maximum fussiness- but that's not an indication that the baby isn't getting any milk. He's getting milk because the breast is never empty (remember that pumping does not empty the breast as well as the baby does)- he's just not getting it as fast as he likes and that can make a tired baby even more cranky.

    The best way to get through it is to nurse as much as possible in the evenings. That will train your body to produce more at that time of day.

    i've heard that. thats always been the problem for me- he either nurses or he won't. and when he's hysterical and hungry, there is no more nursing to stimulate anything, he doesnt really latch, so he really isnt getting anything

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    19,889

    Default Re: water and milk supply?

    Often the afternoon/evening fussiness isn't about hunger. Milk is always there, so the baby could get at it if he was really starving and willing to put in the work to get it out. Often the fussiness is just about a tired, cranky, overstimulated baby trying to find a way to calm down and get to sleep. If the baby won't stay latched, I suggest trying the following:
    - Motion. Rock in a rocking chair, put him in a bouncy seat, swing him in a swing, take him for a drive in the car, stroll him in a stroller, etc..
    - Babywearing. For some babies, being worn in a sling is very soothing.
    - Bath. With my second, the fussing turned off like a light if we just popped her in a sink full of warm water.
    - Fresh air. I don't know why this works but it does!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern Cal.
    Posts
    4,984

    Default Re: water and milk supply?

    When Joe was screaming hysterically and refusing to nurse, walking outside did wonders - he would immediately stop crying. He was a May baby, so this was a bit easier for us, I admit. But it really did help. Also, he liked being in the car, so when we really got desperate, we would "go for a drive." (Yeah, we are such Californians, right?)

    But also, yes, drink TONS of water. I was constantly dying of thirst in my early months breastfeeding, and even now I drink a LOT more water than I ever did pre-baby. Part of it is habit now, but I think even I am losing a good amount of fluids to BF'ing, especially since I BF all night.

    So yes, stay hydrated, and eat heartily. You need your energy right now.


    You can call me JoMo!

    Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Landof2toddlers, Oregon
    Posts
    3,113

    Default Re: water and milk supply?

    with everything everyone has said. And I could always tell if I had not been drinking enough at work because my output would go down (sometimes in half) I notice DD nurses a lot more in the night on days when I don't drink enough. I think I used to need 5-6 16oz cups a day for optimal pump output.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

    • my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.


    If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

    Family beds are awesome

    Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern Cal.
    Posts
    4,984

    Default Re: water and milk supply?

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*durhamgrrl View Post
    I think I used to need 5-6 16oz cups a day for optimal pump output.
    Gosh, I probably drank twice that. I had a quart jar and a straw, and I would fill it eight or ten times a day. Did I mention I was PARCHED? The down side is I had to pee all the time.


    You can call me JoMo!

    Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Landof2toddlers, Oregon
    Posts
    3,113

    Default Re: water and milk supply?

    heehee You made me wonder so I checked my water cup - not 16 oz , actually 32oz It is one of those big cups you get at sporting events (mine says Portland Timbers) I was drinking more than I thought. No wonder I had to leave my desk frequently. And no wonder DD gets annoyed when I don't drink more than about 32oz in a day...
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

    • my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.


    If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

    Family beds are awesome

    Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    44

    Default Re: water and milk supply?

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Often the afternoon/evening fussiness isn't about hunger. Milk is always there, so the baby could get at it if he was really starving and willing to put in the work to get it out. Often the fussiness is just about a tired, cranky, overstimulated baby trying to find a way to calm down and get to sleep. If the baby won't stay latched, I suggest trying the following:
    - Motion. Rock in a rocking chair, put him in a bouncy seat, swing him in a swing, take him for a drive in the car, stroll him in a stroller, etc..
    - Babywearing. For some babies, being worn in a sling is very soothing.
    - Bath. With my second, the fussing turned off like a light if we just popped her in a sink full of warm water.
    - Fresh air. I don't know why this works but it does!
    Ok, yeah this makes sense. I guess I get so overwhelmed by the hands crammed in his mouth, like he's starving, that I think he is starving. So after you settle them down, when do you know to feed them again? I mostly think I follow the cues, but they aren't always on point, I guess.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •